Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Default West Prong Little Pigeon River Contamination.

I was reading on the other thread about the fishing along the spur. If I read that correctly, this water is contaminated by waste water. Does anyone have any information on this. Is this a year around problem or what is going on there?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM

As you come up the spur the Vistor Center on the right is where the water treatment plant is for Gatlinburg. The last I heard it is a failed treatment system that can dump raw sewage into the river. So from there on down is contaminated at times. Herbert Holt Park used to be posted also, which is up stream from the plant, but the last couple of years the posting have been removed. I can't find anything to back all this up, but that is what I have heard for years. Pigeon Forge tubing is not for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Pigeon Forge tubing is not for me.
What!!??... the miles of Applachian Vegas Kitch lining the 6 lane highway wasn't enough to convince you? The storm run off alone probably contains enough petro chemicals to MAKE the tubes they use in the river anyway.

Please forgive me...gonna go hug a tree now!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/w...werFrench6.pdf

page 7 mentions it briefly. Septic tank failures.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Plunker I do agree. And that is such a beautiful place. With those time shares like west gate popping up all over the place what does one expect to happen.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Default What Gets me Flyred is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Plunker I do agree. And that is such a beautiful place. With those time shares like west gate popping up all over the place what does one expect to happen.
These huge timeshare resorts that key on being in nature, bringing the best of the Smokies to you yada yada yada...when they probably came in, clear cut everything, moved every inconvenient rock, diverted every inconvenient stream, and then "landscaped" their way back to Nature.

It's kinda like Disney digging up a swamp to "build" a natural wetland

Not big on huggin trees...but some things really make me wonder
Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM

AMEN BROTHER PREACH IT. I feel the same way. It is definately confusing. I am not a big tree hugger neither but I do love my smoky mountains.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM

I am from Gatlinburg. I now live in Maryville...hey I got here as fast as I could! I lived on the spur at Beech Branch Rd. Before the "new" sewer treatment plant was built (that was where our football field was by the way) the "old" plant at the curve as you drive into the city proper, used to stink very bad! In fact the city used to spray vanilla in the air to cover the smell. As Gatlinburg expanded, the need for wastwater treatment also expanded. The city built a larger/better football field at GP High School and made the old "Legion Field" into a new state of the art waste water treatment plant. You may not even notice it as you drive up the Spur. It is to your right just after you pass Norton Creek Road. A few years ago I took a group of youth canoeing from Pigeon Forge to Sevierville in the river and the next day the State of Tennessee published a "No Swim, No Fish, No Drink" order for the river! It contained high levels of E.coli bacteria if I recall. It was a seasonal thing as high water temperatures and low water combined with all the results of living in the community. I recall a few years ago signs were placed on the Spur which warned people not to swim or fish in that section of river. From time to time plastic garbage bags were placed over the signs...I suppose the levels of bacteria were small enough to not be harmful. Also there was a write up in the News Sentinel a couple of years ago about the Gatlinburg wastewater treatment facility releasing non-treated or partially treated wastewater into the Little Pigeon. I believe this was a one time issue. The outlet is between the Wiley Oakley/Little Smoky Rd bridge and Norton Creek Raod. There is a sign at the outlet explaining what the culvert is. The release was either not intended or the facility reached its full capacity and could not handle the load. I believe the city is trying to do what is right but does make mistakes like any other facility. Anyway, I have waded, swam and fished that section of river in the past but am more reluctant to in the summer. Someone asked if this was a seasonal issue...I believe it is. Anyway...just my two cents worth.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 PM

I have seen the black plastic bags over the signs in the past. I have always fished that area and carried my wife down there on her first trip. Man I hope that is not an issue that will really stink up the area over the years. Of course my favorite part of the mountains is not the city limits but the outdoors of the back country.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM

YEP! ME TOO! It is amazing that on the upper end of Gatlinburg is the water treatment plant which takes in clean water at the Park boundary and at the lower end is the wastewater treatment plant. It boggles the mind how many toilets, sinks, showers, dishwashers, etc there are in that short 3 mile stretch! Here is the important thing....we are SOOOOOOO fortunate to live in a place where we do not have to walk a mile to collect water from a contaminated hog wallow and have to boil it to use it and we do not have to deal with sewer trenches running through dirt streets. We have it made!!!!!!!