Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Looking for a Rod

So I am currently fishing with a borrowed Sage FLI 8' 4wt. I have had some limited fishing experience but enough to know I love the sport and want a nicer rod. I understand that alot of choosing a rod is casting them and seeing which ones you like best. But to start I want to know what some people here think. I want a rod thats a good all-around rod, big streams/tailwaters, and smaller stuff. I want to stay under $700 for the rod, so fire away. Offer suggestions on make/model/wieght/action, anything you like or dont like about certain rods. I know its cold so take some time to help a brotha out.

-Neil
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Hey Neil, welcome to the board....I would HIGHLY suggest buying a Sage FLi. I've got one and they are simply high quality rods. As a result of Sage discontinuing the FLi series, they are marked down A LOT...The FLi is a fast action rod, so if you are comfortable with stiff, but powerful fly rods, this is it...A general weight and length is an 8'6"/6 weight. You said that you are already using/borrowing an FLi...so you know how they work, and what they're like...Also think about those TCR rods....

Last edited by Tarheelflyfishing; 01-21-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Best Combo for under $700...

Money is not the object? If my guess is correct, the Sage FLi is a fast action rod and more than anything that my be the reason you're not happy with it. Before dropping serious money on a new rod, you should try a few out first. That's really the only way to know. Plus you'd be surprised at how many rods BELOW the FLi price may be more enjoyable to cast. You'll probably want a slower action (less tip flex, more full flexing), based on your dislike for the FLi.

If it were me, I would get an 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro AND a 9'0" 5wt TFO Pro, and an Orvis BBSII reel with two extra spools. I would then purchase good 3wt, 4wt and 5wt lines for each of the spools. This setup would give you tremendously more flexibility than any one setup and you might even have a bit of change left over (but probably not much...).

Until you have been fishing for awhile you might not really notice the difference between a good rod and an expensive one. For the money, TFO Pros are a great value. Save your money and make sure you enjoy it first. Then you can upgrade and add rods as you go. Plus, I have a bad habit of breaking things, so to go off on a backcountry adventure with a Helios rod, would make me more nervous than anything else...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelflyfishing View Post
Here's a link to some CLEARANCE and I mean CLEARANCE rods...Madison River Fishing Company. Also think about those TCR rods...Retail for a TCR is $740...MRFC is marking them down to $399...
Tarheel, I know you mean well, but remember this is an LRO website and we shouldn't link products for sale from other sites...plus LRO sells some pretty good stuff, as well...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Tarheal I have to totally agree with Pete on this. I know you probably mean the very best but the fine people at LRO put this forum on and do a lot of work for our benefit. Byron and the staff put more money into giving us free information and this board than a clearance sale could ever benefit us. Please in the future reframe from posting another companies sale. Like I said I do not believe you meant any harm but it is just simply a respect thing for LRO.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Default Any other Help?

Well I got 2 good, replies. Anyone else have any insight or replies.

PS guys no worries Im not going to buy from someone other than LRO
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Sorry 'bout that guys I'm so mad at myself right now.. I haven't been thinking straight lately...course it could be that I need to get out on the stream...what was I thinking...BUY FROM LRO...you guys are 100% correct...They have done more for us than any other fly shop could compare too!!!! I've never really looked through the whole LRO online catalog...now I did...all I can say is WOW...best prices I've seen for FLi rods...Once again...what was I thinking....I've found my new fly shop of choice...LRO!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Tarheal, do not be to rough on yourself. I have done much worse than that to people face to face. We were just trying to make you aware of it and to hellp other people not make the same mistake. You are very knowledgeable and would not hurt anyone purposely, we know that. All is fine just keep putting out all that good info on fishing that you have stored up in your adventures. Man I hope to still know you when you are 50 and had 34 more years of experience.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Hey Lumber Jack

Your post seemed to have incidentally got sidetracked. However, in my very humble opinion personal preference plays a huge part when it comes to choosing a rod. I’m a creature of habit my, first rod ten years ago was a Clearwater 5wt 8’6” full flex 2pc for no good reason other than I just like them, I’ve stuck with Orvis rods. I own more than one rod now, upgraded those rods through the years and in addition have found that mid flex rods are more suitable for me. My point is, I imagine people posting what brand or what particular rod one thought was best (I realize you are not necessarily asking that) could become quite a contentious subject. (Although entertaining : ) I think your going about it the right way. That is to say you know you need to part with a little coin to get some quality which in turn makes the casting experience a whole lot more enjoyable. I might add that finding ONE rod for “big streams, tailwaters and smaller stuff” might by akin to using a putter for 18 holes of golf. So what’s the answer…..get yourself two TLS Power Matrix rods, that might keep you under your 7bones- after all they’re the BEST!!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Lumberjack,
Your price point opens the door for a LOT of very fine rod choices. I own a few rods that would be considered higher end (Winston Bii-t, Scott G2, Sage SLT) and there is something about them that is really nice.

I like medium action rods and there are a lot of choices in that range. The ones I mentioned above (except for the Sage) are all currently made. I think LRO can get Scott rods too.

The TFO rods are an excellent value in a quality rod. The new St Croix rods are supposed to be really nice too.

The option of getting a 3wt and a 5wt TFO rod with the Orvis Battenkill Barstock (BBS) reel is a very good suggestion. I think you could get both of those rods and a reel for about the price you mentioned and you'd have everything from small stream brookies to tailwaters to bass and bluegill in ponds covered with those rod setups.

If you're in a place where you an get to LRO, have Daniel string a couple up and take them out back on the grass and cast to see what actions you like.

One tip when test driving rods, don't worry too much about how far you can cast. I've found that the rods that cast the farthest are not the best fishing rods. I had a really fast rod that could cast like a rocket but I hated fishing with it.

Most fish you are going to be catching are inside of 50 feet and the vast majority are inside of 30 feet. In the Smokeys, most are within 10 feet of the end of your rod.

Casting distance is far less important than casting accuracy. When you're test driving rods, pick something about 30' away and see how easy it is for you to hit that mark with consistency. The rod that allows you to hit that mark with ease is the one for you.

Just my .02 worth on the subject.

Jeff