Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 PM

There have been lots of good suggestions on here so far. Since you're in the market for a new rod, I'd make a trip to LRO where you are welcome to test a wide variety of rods. Don't be shy...test as many as you can.

With a budget of $700, you should definitely test some of the more expensive rods, like a Winston LT5 (one of my personal favorites) or a BIIt. These are beautiful rods, and they come with nice tubes. But, like PeteCZ recommended, there are plenty of great casting rods that don't cost a fortune. I also think the TFO Pros are great rods. Plus, they have excellent warranties.

If you want to get a single rod, I would recommend going for a 9' 5wt. This seems to be a good, all-around trout (possibly light bass) rod. My first rod was a 9' 6wt, which is great for big tailwaters, but sometimes feels cumbersome on smaller streams. My second rod was a 8'6" 4wt, which I love. However, it is more difficult to cast streamers and other heavy flies with this rod. For this reason, I think you'll find the 9' 5wt to be a good compromise. In all honesty, you'll probably end up buying several rods before you know it...that's just how it seems to go...

I also agree with Jeffnles. Don't buy a rod just because it can throw a tight loop at 60 ft. I made that mistake, and that rod has been sitting in my closet for over a year.

Hope this helps,
Grousegunner
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Default Good advice

Thanks alll for the good advice. Know that I am taking it all into consideration. I never really thought about buying 2 rods at one time, but does make good sense. THanks
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM

Man if you are like most of us, it will not be long before you have a half dozen or more rods in your collection. Remember we hardly ever buy out of necessity but mainly out of desire.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Maybe it is just the klutz in me, but I too seem to break things, and the thought of using a very high priced rod is offputting. I seem to remember the price heirarchy as Line, rod, reel, best to least quality. Firsy "new" rod, since taking up fly fishing again after a thirty or so year gap, wss Clearwater version of Far and Fine, 2 pc. 5 wt full flex 7'9". Still a go to rod. Won a rod in a weight loss contest, Sage 3wt 9' tip flex 4 pc, and if the conditions are right, is favorite. Ant new rods will likely be Orvis Clearwaters. Skip Watson.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Heck, get 3 rods

If you have $700 to spend, why not get 3 rods. A 3wt, a 5 or 6wt and an 8wt. You would then be covered for about any situation. This would be doable using the TFO Pro series or the Orvis Cleawater II series. I cannot state the importance of test casting. When I got my 6wt, I tested a $650, a $450, a $300, a $190, and a $150 rod. All of the rods but one were very sweet, but I got the $190, because it "felt" right.

I would also suggest testing the Sage VT2. I think they are up to $435. They have what they call a "progressive" action that changes with the rod weight. If you make your 5-6wt the Sage, then you could go with say a TFO 3wt or 8wt. Personally, I'd go with the lighter weight. Panfish on the 3 are a blast and tossing an 8 all day is a pain. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Cast cast and cast some more. Do not even look at the tag till you are holding the right rod for you. Then based on that price, decide if you can afford another rod or not. Then repeat step one again.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Default Good Advice

Thats some good advice. Im just going to go to the shop and cast. Then I will decide which or how many I can buy depending on which one fits best. Thanks guys
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 PM

Default took the plunge

Well I took the plunge on Saturday. I finally decided on the Winston LT-5 piece in 8'9" 5wt. This rod to me was just incredible in the way it cast. Smooth yet powerfull. Its just awsome. I tested out several including the Sage Z axis, ZXL, and VT2. All were great rods but just didnt feel as nice to me as the Winston. Just to note the Sage VT2 was very suprising. Anyone looking for a great rod in the mid price range should try this one out. Of course I didnt like it as much as my Winston but it was very nice still. Anyway, thanks for all the advice. Now its reel time!! God Bless and understanding woman

Remember......I'm and idiot
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM

it may not be the rod it could be you are casting the wrong line on your rod.if your are having trouble loading go up 1 line size see how that works .
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Lumber Jack,
I have only been fishing for a few years, however I feel head long into the hobby and did a heck of a lot of research before I bought my first good rod. I tested multiple brands but for me it was Orvis who took the cake. I picked the Clearwater II 905-4 Mid 7.5. Its a 9' 4 piece 5wt rod and it casts like a gem. It is a very reasonable price so you could get a Orvis Battenkill Bar stock reel to go with it. They compliment each other very well. I use it in the Smokies and it never lets me down. I also have caught a couple 3lb large mouth bass on it as well and it performs great.

Micah Sawyer