Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Default Owning A Fly Shop

Neat article in the latest Fly Rod and Reel about this topic. Makes one appreciate all the more what Byron and Paula have to put with.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM

Talking Agree

Yes I agree. Paula and Byron go way beyond what a typical flyshop does, so really they have to put up with even more. I know we always give them credit but lets not forget Daniel is a big part of the glue that holds them together. Daniel, hats off my man for all you do.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM

I worked my way through college in a retail store. I had none of the responsibilities of actually running the place but got a very good dose of the kind of "stuff" customers can hand out. There are some that regardless of how nice you're trying to be or how much you bend over to help them cannot be made happy. I always felt really sorry for some of the customers because they were such angry and unhappy people.

Our sporting goods department sold a lot of bicycles but didn't assemble them. One day, a woman bought a bike but was quite upset that there wasn't anyone who could assemble it for her. She was a single mom and didn't have a clue how to tighten bolts or put on handle bars. I told her to come back that evening and I'd have it built for her. She tried to pay me but I just couldn't take money from her.

My boss found out and I thought I'd be in trouble because I used the store's tools. Instead, he allowed me to come in early or stay late on the clock and build bikes for people. I never accepted a dime from the customers for doing this and quite frankly, saw it as something I really enjoyed and a change of pace. I got to deal with happy people.

I can only imagine Byron, Paula and Daniel's stress level in trying to keep all of us happy even on those day when we just don't want to be happy. It's a tough job and a LOT of work. I know it's not just all "fishing talk" and "Bsing with the guys". They work very hard.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM

Yep, I agree about the whole crew, and particularly Daniel. He remembers us when we come in, he always speaks nicely to my daughter (who I'm trying really hard to get interested in fly fishing) and he's perpetually friendly to everyone (even the noobs with 2 grand worth of Orvis gear and their pockets full of Japanese flies).

I've often dreamed of what it would be like to go back in time and beat Byron and Paula to the punch in opening the shop; but then I realize most other folks, including myself, could never have pulled it off to begin with. It's definitely driven by folks who need to be right where they are. I've loved watching that shop evolve (remember when they sold backpacking gear?) over the years, and they are now as much a part of my Smokies experience as the John Oliver cabin, the view from Gregory's Bald or that one sweet spot back on the Big Horseshoe.

We're blessed to have 'em.

Last edited by Mark_Cathey; 01-22-2009 at 02:39 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM

With out a doubt hats off to Byron, Paula, Daniel and the whole LRO crew. Owning a fly shop is tricky stuff, especially in the current ongoing economic crisis...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM

I would love to own a outdoors/fly shop but I don't see that happening. My best hope is work till retirement and move to Tenn. and try to get hired at LRO. Now that is a good idea.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Ps. Tyler, great story on taking pride and drawing enjoyment from your work.

Jeff- love the Tarheel blog, man. Very cool...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Cathey View Post
Ps. Tyler, great story on taking pride and drawing enjoyment from your work.

Jeff- love the Tarheel blog, man. Very cool...
Hey Mark, appreciate the kind words...glad you like my 'ole blog...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 AM

Default flyshop for sale

There's one for sale not too far from me in Bozeman. I think it's the oldest one in Bozeman (Montana). I'll dig up more info if someone actually wants it.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
There's one for sale not too far from me in Bozeman. I think it's the oldest one in Bozeman (Montana). I'll dig up more info if someone actually wants it.
That would be my best dreams come true. However, I do not believe that I would be the best guy to actually own a fly shop. I'd love to work in the shop and gas with the fishermen and talk fishing all day. I'd love to manage a shop or even be the e-commerce guy for a shop.

However, actually owning the business I'm not sure I would be right. I think my personality would lean more to gassing with the guys than being serious about the business.

My dream after I retire from my current career (in my 29th year so retirement isn't too far off in today's corporate culture) is to be bi-vocational. I 'd like to be part time in some type of ministry and part time working in some type of fly shop / fishing related industry.

That, my friends, is my dream.

Jeff