Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Default HArry's Fly shop

is located in Edinburg, Virginia. I've never been but it sounds like an interesting place
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM

Jeffnles,

As a former youth minister and now an outreach minister, I would just like to say to you. Put God truely first and seek first his kingdom and he will supply all your needs. If you do not seek him first and his will then you just might end up with neither. Pray hard about it but be willing to follow. Remember we can have no other Gods before him. Just my 2cents. Hopefully, not offensive.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
I know Harry Murray is a pharmacist--have never been to his shop--Where is his shop??
Edinburg is right off I-81, in the northern part of Virginia. As I recall, the shop is just a few blocks from the interstate, so it's no trouble to stop in just to take a break when you're traveling that way. I was on my way to Alexandria the time I stopped in several years ago. If memory serves, it's on North Main Street. Seemed like a nice little town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...num=1&ct=title

-Milton
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Jeffnles,

As a former youth minister and now an outreach minister, I would just like to say to you. Put God truely first and seek first his kingdom and he will supply all your needs. If you do not seek him first and his will then you just might end up with neither. Pray hard about it but be willing to follow. Remember we can have no other Gods before him. Just my 2cents. Hopefully, not offensive.
Flyred06,
No offense taken. I've spent the past few years in some serious prayer about this and am trusting that He will let me know and I ask for Him to give me the wisdom to understand the call.

As for Youth, Charlie and I have "chatted" via email. While I have a real heart for the students, I do not really feel myself being called to student ministry. I'm more the guy you want driving the bus or at the party. Typically, I'm the biggest kid in the room and having more fun than the teens. However, actually pastoring to them is not what I feel called to do.

I've spent 28+ years in the business world at a very large corporation. The Lord has blessed me with management, leadership, vision, strategic and team building skills. Being the business manager or consulting with pastors on how to build effective teams (staff or volunteer) is more where I can serve with the excellence He is due.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Gods speed. You are in our prayers. I know personally how hard it is sometimes to know what to do or where to go. I only offer you prayer and support.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Gods speed. You are in our prayers. I know personally how hard it is sometimes to know what to do or where to go. I only offer you prayer and support.
Prayers are always greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jeff
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
There's one for sale not too far from me in Bozeman. I think it's the oldest one in Bozeman (Montana). I'll dig up more info if someone actually wants it.
Snaildarter,
I'll be out of the Marine Corps in a short 8 years, and looking to move back to Montana, spend time with the kids and find a job dealing with hunting and fishing. If you get the shop yourself, I can promise you a hard-working, honest employee in 8 years time that would be happy to work for peanuts. Well maybe not peanuts, but certainly turkey sammiches, elk hair caddises and Joe's Hoppers.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Now that's going to be hard to pass up. Plus as a marine he can double as your own personal security system.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Brian, I confess. I would love to have that fly shop. I've looked at it and one other in Pennsylvania last year. This shop seems to be better than average. Meaning it still doesn't seem to make any money.

My first goal in buying any business is that it is going to make good money. I haven't delved deeply into the numbers on this one (they aren't given in its listing), but the few numbers they did post aren't attractive to me. I can tell that the shop is very well run, which worries me the most since if the current owner is running it so well, and the numbers are still kinda low, then what if I bought it? It would probably fold. When I look at its web site, I can tell that either the owner or his manager is extremely capable and hard working. Byron had talked some last year about how so many fly shops are folding. I think to go into this business you better not be good. You better be perfect. Byron seems to have that perfect situation at LRO: he had the resources in invest what he needed to to make it a premium destination; he works constantly and smartly to improve his business; he hired great folks to run it with him and who enjoy working for him; and he built his business in a demographically fantastic area before anyone else with a similar business acumen did. It would be extremely foolish for anyone to compete with him for business anywhere near Townsend any time soon.

The shop may be in better shape than I think. But usually the numbers are already skewed to make a biz look good in its listing. So I haven't put any effort into finding out more.

Brian, you'ld probably be able to buy it yourself in 8 years, if you are saving that tax-free pay you get. But it's a lot of money to lose if thing go wrong, isn't it? Which is why I'm so picky about the real numbers. Seems a biz like this might be best for a doctor or someone who already has enough money in life and is looking for a distraction in retirement, and leave the running of the shop to his manager, and not expect to make much money off it.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Default business etc

I'd be careful about buying a existing business--usually there's deep,dark reason for the shop being for sale.In a business,you can build customer good-faith,but you cannot buy it.Generally it 's better to start small and build.If you are energetic,and have the personality for working in the public,customers will usually seek you out.When you say Bozeman Mt.,fly fisherman get stars in their eyes,could be there's too many fly-shops around Bozeman.