Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Default A Grandfather's Legacy

When my son was 4 or 5 I wrote a short story about my experiences flyfishing in the Smokies and the influence of my grandfather at whose feet I was tutored. I have been following his lead now for 47 years and can still feel his presence on those rare days when I find my self alone on one of our favorite creeks. I fished with this man until he was 82 years young. Early on I connected with this wonderful place both physically and spiritually and came to realized that just the act of being in this spot renourished my soul on more than just a fishing level. My relatives were around and in the moutains before it became a park. My first trout on a fly was brought to hand from the waters of Porter's Creek. As fate would have it I later found out that Porter was my grandfather's mother's maiden name and my son now carries that name with him while he plies these same waters in search of trout. I have survived that early stage of measuring success by the number of fish in a creel at the end of the day and now look forward to the experience of just being in the river and remembering the times that have flowed through my life like the water that I fish. My son is now 15 and has shown some of the same attachments to trout fishing that I have experienced in my life. While he was not fortunate enough to have known my grandfather before he died he has been able to get to know him by my stories and experiences on these same waters. Many times now I find myself enjoying watching my son fish as much as I do fishing myself.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 PM

Tarheal,

This is exactly what I bet your great grandfather would think of you using his rod. Let the legacy live on.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM

I can hear him up there now...there feeding on Cahills...better switch to a Lt. Cahill.... His son (my grandad) asked me if I would take his fly rod, vest, flies, and reel, and I did....I'm trying to keep the legacy more than alive...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM

And I do applaud you for that. Keep it up and that old rod may make it a few more generations. Would that not be great. I have some older stuff from my great uncle and I would not take anything for them.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Thumbs up One of the best things about this Board!!!

All the reminders of good times with loved ones! Tarheel talking about a legacy fly rod has reminded me of my grandfathers Fly Rod and reel (long gone to a fire) 9' Fiberglass mustard yellow with ochre wraps and a Pfleuger Automatic wish I still had Him and the Rod around

Each time I look at the fishing report and see the cow standing factor, I have to smile...I remember well the days we would end up back at the house, trip interrupted, because the cows on the way to the pond were layin' down...

Wouldn't sell those memories for all the world...dang sure wouldn't sell the hardware!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM

My dad was a Methodist minister who fished the Smokies from the 1940's on. My best days as a kid were spent walking up and down those long trails with him; fishing Fish Camp Prong, Hazel Creek, Middle Prong and Abram's.
He died two years ago, but he always told me that whenever I fished the mountains, he'd be there walking right along beside me.

There was a great story in the very first Little River Journal back in 1999 that was written by a guy about fishing the mountains with his dad; his dad giving him instruction on how to cast and encouragement as he played the fish. It wasn't until the end of the story that you realized the man's father had long since passed and it was just the memory of his father's voice he was experiencing. I feel that way now.

Anyway, great thread....
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 PM

I was not raised in the smokies but I was raised on the river here in Alabama. I remember my great uncle carrying me small game hunting and fishing along my childhood years. I was trying to convey to Tarheal about how I feel the same as you do about your dad. I still have his gun and his old rods and I would not take any thing for them at all. I believe I might even line the old rods and reels up and take them fishing at some point this year. The old model 11 shotgun still sets in my safe to be used or just studied on for many years to come. Tarheal keep up the memories.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I was not raised in the smokies but I was raised on the river here in Alabama. I remember my great uncle carrying me small game hunting and fishing along my childhood years. I was trying to convey to Tarheal about how I feel the same as you do about your dad. I still have his gun and his old rods and I would not take any thing for them at all. I believe I might even line the old rods and reels up and take them fishing at some point this year. The old model 11 shotgun still sets in my safe to be used or just studied on for many years to come. Tarheal keep up the memories.
I've got his rod hanging up on the wall...especially during the fishless Winter months...I was looking through his flies a few days ago, and realized that some of the patterns were from the 60's and 70's. He got a handful of them when he was out in Montana fishing the Madison River back in June of '92. He was one of the best fly fisherman I have ever seen...Also a great wingshooter like your uncle FlyRed. I hope to pass his gear down to my children/grandchildren/great grandchildren...strangely enough, the fly rod doesn't have ANY labels like rod manufacturer, weight, length, or numbers....Still the legacy remains....
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
When my son was 4 or 5 I wrote a short story about my experiences flyfishing in the Smokies and the influence of my grandfather at whose feet I was tutored. I have been following his lead now for 47 years and can still feel his presence on those rare days when I find my self alone on one of our favorite creeks. I fished with this man until he was 82 years young. Early on I connected with this wonderful place both physically and spiritually and came to realized that just the act of being in this spot renourished my soul on more than just a fishing level. My relatives were around and in the moutains before it became a park. My first trout on a fly was brought to hand from the waters of Porter's Creek. As fate would have it I later found out that Porter was my grandfather's mother's maiden name and my son now carries that name with him while he plies these same waters in search of trout. I have survived that early stage of measuring success by the number of fish in a creel at the end of the day and now look forward to the experience of just being in the river and remembering the times that have flowed through my life like the water that I fish. My son is now 15 and has shown some of the same attachments to trout fishing that I have experienced in my life. While he was not fortunate enough to have known my grandfather before he died he has been able to get to know him by my stories and experiences on these same waters. Many times now I find myself enjoying watching my son fish as much as I do fishing myself.
You should get this published in a magazine.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM

I think Rog 1 should too...shows a clear example of what the most important aspect in fly fishing is...family...