Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Default Fort Walton Beach, Florida

I live in Birmingham and my wife and I have recently bought a place in Ft Walton Beach, Florida. I am a dedicated mountain trout fly fisherman but would love to get information about places in the Choctowhatchee Bay, Intercoastal Canal near Ft Walton or any other information about saltwater flyfishing in that area to include any fishing guides knowledgeable about the area that anyone on this message board would recommend. I am in the process of looking for a used center console bay boat that would suit my needs and I already have a kayak if there are any flats in that area.
Doc
Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Doc
I am new to this site, but the good news is I am from destin lived there for many years, me and my sons tried to fish around at least 150 to 200 days a year. There is a rod store in shalimar I visited from time to time to get rod building supplys her spouse is like a saltwater fly fishing guru from what I was told. I moved to tallahassee 2 years ago and not sure if their still there, I did tons of red and trout fishing in the bays I was a wader I loved to just park on the island and get waist deep and go, you can put that kayak in just about anywhere. The guys at halfhitch in destin will give you some good point on info. my boys used to put in at the boat ramp there by IHOP on 98 and head west hitting all the docks and grass flats on both side just dont go ashore on the south side it military owned.

Hope this helps

Springs coming and the pompano fishing there rocks

Sherman
Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Love the area, im moving down there at the end of the year. The jetties are always productive year round and can be fished easily by your kayak which i have seen people do (sheepshead should be kicking up real soon there). Most reds and trout are back in the bayous on dark bottom now this time of year, But close to the jetties are the grass flats at the coast gaurd station north of the destin bridge. Bonita in the surf and the pass are pretty hot right now. Like Tallyblitz said, Half Hitch tackle is a good store that can give you more precise positions and get you headed in the right direction. www.pensacolafishingforum.com is an excellent forum for fishing anywhere on the panhandle.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM

You might also try asking around at that fly shop in birmingham. Deep south in the colonaides or check with mike at Marks outdoors in vestavia. I know Mike would have you some info.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Ft Walton Question

Thanks for the responses and good information. Question for Tallyblitz: any problem stepping on stingrays when you wade the Choctawhatchee Bay? I have waded the surf to Pompano fish with sand fleas as bait and never had any problems.
Doc
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Default Fort Walton

If you want a guide try www.Bluebayoutfitters.com. The best way to get started in this area is to come to a meeting of our local club. The Panhandle Flyfishers meet at the Destin fishing museum on the first Thursday of the month at 7 pm. At this time of year fly fishing is pretty slow unless you have a boat. The end of March through April and May is the time to fish the beach for Pompano. The club will have an outting around the end of March. That would be an ideal time for you to pick up some tips on this tough fishing. It will also introduce you to members that know this area very well.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Default question for panhandle

I have fished the beaches off 30-A for pompano in the spring with sand fleas. Is fly fishing in the surf ever productive for any species there?
Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 PM

Default Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Pompano are definitely catchable on a fly rod in the surf. Figure at least a thousand casts per fish. I'm not exagerating either. In the summer time you can wear yourself out on ladyfish as well as hardtails (Bluerunner). I have caught Jack Crevalle and flounder in the surf as well. As I said in my previous post the best way to get into the game is to join the club. They will be hosting a website in the near future.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Doc:

Some of my favorite flyfishing in Choctawatchee Bay is around dock lights at night for speckled sea trout and red fish. I even caught a small grouper once. The great thing is that you aren't blind casting like the surf but can sight cast. A little john boat will do the trick unless you plan on doing some major running around the bay. I would also second Blue Bay Outfitters. I have used Robert Cochran for quite some time as a guide. He works his tail off getting you fish, either on the fly or otherwise.

Best of luck.