Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Default options for the future

Well, I've had enough of winter and I'm planning for vacations ahead. I'm looking for streams I haven't fished yet. I've enjoyed the LR, Ocana, Tremont, Elkmont and also Forney Creek. I've been looking for other options. So far I've considered Big, Deep, and Hazel Creeks. I've never fished Abrams. And I also thought of Greenbriar area. I'll most likely have my family in tow (wife, 4 y.o. and baby), so a slight hike is ok. Any ideas, stories or places to avoid would be appreciated. If you're nervous about giving out info you could tell me secretly and I'll let you guide me!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM

If you can get away from the family for the day Abrams is awesome below the falls. If you do not mind a hard hike, then deep creek from the top. Hike in to you get to the 2nd camp site and fish your way back out. Be careful you probably want see another person the whole day. Another good spot for smaller fish but plenty of them is roaring fork. Drive through with the family and stop along the way and fish while the kids play and the wife reads (personally my first suggestion for you.) But for the most intermediate day if you can get away from the family is Abrams. Be careful those rocks are slick and you can get hurt down in there. Greenbriar is also a good place with the closeness back to town but the remoteness of solitude. But if the family is in tow I still say roaring fork is the best for you.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM

I asked a similiar question last fall because it seems like I always end up fishing the same streams each year. I fish the horseshoe on Abrams every spring and explore the waters of the Cataloochee valley every fall. And I would highly recommend both. When I asked the question last fall a lot of people suggested Deep Creek. Since you have the family I would suggest one of the easy to access areas around the campgrounds so that the family can find something to do while you fish. Cades Cove would be a good choice either Anthony Creek in the picnic area or Abrams back in the cove (no brown trout). I think Elkmont would also be a good choice as would the stream behind the Sugarland Visitors center (though I have never fished it). I think it depends on whether you want the family to have something to do near by while you are fishing or whether you want to be dropped off while they go do something else.
I've considered just taping a map to the wall and throwing a dart, it would probably hit a blue line somewhere.

Mike
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Default Deep Creek

I like Flyred's thinking (upper Deep Creek is one of my favorite areas of the Park), but if you have a family in tow, your best bet for something you haven't done before (and without getting the little lady too hacked off) looks like lower Deep Creek. The family could hang out around the Deep Creek Campground or even head into Bryson City and you 14 miles of excellent fishing ahead of you...You could even take the family on a short hike with you up the trail before it gets too hairy.

MtnMike's suggestion about the Old Sugarlands trail would be good as well. You could fish the lower section of the WPLP. Not a bad option either if you wanted to stay in Gatlinburg.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM

thanks for the advice guys, Maybe I should say that my wife might fish with me, and my son will definately want to fish some as well. also, I try to keep us out of the areas with a thick people density!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Just of out curiosity does anyone know the name of the creek mentioned above on the old sugarlands trail?