Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Abrams Creek - Little Bottoms Info

First of all I am new here and very glad to be a part of this forum. I have been reading it for some time. I live in Maryville out Montvale road about 4 miles from the Abrams Creek ranger station. I wanted to fish up there some this year but not really sure what section I should be looking at. I have heard that the area near the front country campground wasn't good for trout but that I should go further upstream towards the falls. I have camped before at little bottoms so I am pretty familiar with that area. In general is the little bottoms campsite area pretty good or would you all keep going upstream farther towards the falls? Just curious and thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Welcome to the board. I am not certain about the camp area you speak of but usually I park at the falls area and hike in about 1 to 1 1/4 miles below the falls. Careful when fishing because that becomes a lot of water to cover on the way out. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the falls to get out. Once in it is a gorge you stay in all the way back. There is a lot of water I never cover. But it leaves me the options of plenty of water to choose from. I just do not want you to get in there and get trapped at night fall. Also the closer to the falls the slicker those rocks get. What you cover on ground hiking in becomes about 3 times that in water to cover getting out. But it is a beautiful place.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks flyred for the reply. I think why I am confused is when folks on here say below the falls I am thinking that means downstream from the falls ie towards Abrams Creek ranger station is that right? I have been on Abrams Creek a lot but never been to the falls. Keep in mind I am always on coming from the direction of the ranger station and not from the cades cove side.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Ok I am always goming from the cove section. I hike in at the falls and go down the trail then step off into the river and fish my way back. I have never been where you are talking about. I have never seen the ranger station at abrams. THis section I am referring to is awesome.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Default Welcome

Crockett,

When you hike up from the ranger station, go until you've reached campsite 17 (I think this is the Little Bottoms campsite you mentioned). Start fishing anywhere after that. I normally start around Rabbit Creek, someone from the campsite usually beats me to the section at the campsite. There's alot of fishing between there and Abrams Creek falls. Quite a bit of it is hard to access due to the trail being quite a bit higher than the stream. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Buzz

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 01-27-2009 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: I mis-spelled the guys name
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Crockett,
I know where you are talking about. I'd say I live a mile or so from you. I've wet a line there a few times half-heartedly when taking the kids for a walk or going swimming. I've never seen a trout in there, although I hear there are some in the colder months. There are guys on this board that can tell you a lot better than I can. I've read their posts about catching large rainbows in lower Abrams, but I have always fished Abrams upstream of the falls, in and around the big horseshoe. Other than trout running up from the lake, I think you have to get above the falls to find water trout live in year-round.

Allright, I just read Buzz's post. Seems you don't have to get above the falls. Still, I haven't seen any trout around the ranger station.

Last edited by Brian Griffing; 01-27-2009 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: better info was presented
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

I've caught s few decent bow's fishing upstream from Little Bottoms the very few times I camped there in the early summer, not sure how it fishes after that. Supposedly there are smallies up there around the established campground.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM

This is just what I was looking for thanks all. It seems from the replies here that there is good fishing above and below the falls ie a mile upstream and a mile downstream. I guess the upstream fishing would include the famous horseshoe area. Brian I live off of Sam James rd. near Ridge road. Yes # 17 is little bottoms. When I camped there last year I saw a guy fishing the creek right near the campsite.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM

Just watch yourself in the Horseshoes, My brother and I almost spent the night there once. Allow plenty of time and take a partner with you. Also bring flashlights and extra food, (not kidding!!!)
Kytroutbum
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

It seems like I saw a post last week that talked about the mythical rainbow run up Abrams out of Chilowhee. I am not familiar with the area, but I plan on making a trip there in the next 3 weeks to see if maybe i can find one. Check around and see if you can find it. It may have been in the thread about the draw down. You should be able to catch a few trout between the lake and the falls this time of year. The water isn't nearly as bath wate warm as it gets in the summer time.