Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Default suggestions

Whats some of you guys suggestions for cutting out popper bodies using wine corks? Or for that fact any harder foam. I tried sharpening a bullet case but my popper body looked horrible when I was done.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM

I just cut them at an angle, carve out a cup in the mouth and put them on a kink shank hook (1/0). They are big, but not too big for a large mouth. Some have suggested a Dremel to shape, but I don't have one. You could use sand paper, but I don't think the fish care. My avatar is a popper I made from a wine cork.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Default re: making popper bodies

I've always wanted to experiment with a "hollow punch set" or "gasket punch set." Probably wouldn't work well with cork but might do the trick certain foam grades.

just google either of these terms to get an idea....anyone ever use these tools / techniques?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Try to locate a set of cork hole borers- used in Science labs. Check Scientifc Supply houses. You can get a sharpener for them also. This will work on sharpening tubes also. I saw a post on Flyanglersonline ( ? )where they mounted the borer in drill and it got a cleaner cut than by hand.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 AM

Thanks Randall I will definately check this out. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Do you have access to FLY TYER mag? The Fall and winter 2005 and spring 2007 have Foam Bass Bug articles. Anthony Hipp ,also, has at leaqst 2 articles about building bass poppers or sliders by layering foam then covering with an outside layer and glueing them together. I can't put my had on them as they are in "cold storage" in my basement flytying room. I've moved my fly tying op's upstairs to the family room to conserve heat while we are waiting to lose power.

Have you tried using foam from a bouy? While it is coarser it seems to "cut" smoother than foam. I picked up some and might try to see if I can "seal" it up and paint after I get caught up on other flies. Spring 07 FLY TYER suggested getting a "SEALER" ,Varnish and Sparkle Glaze from craft shops.
I've seen several articles online about using a Dremel like a lathe and using sand paper or emery boards to smooth it. I've played with it a little and it seems to work. Also, Loon has several head cements that can be used as a "body paint".

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

I do not have that magazine. I did have an idea last night about these cork poppers I am making. I have glued foam together before but for the price I like just ordering the foam rods from LRO. But I got other ideas from your message, so thanks for the post.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Default alternative approach to foam poppers

I was looking for a PMD emerger pattern and ran across the approach to making Foam Poppers.http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24573 Also some disccusion later in the thread about sharpening the punches. Hope this helps ya'll!!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks Randal that is very helpfull. I am going to try some of those Ideas on the cork. I was wondering how I would cup the front and that answered the question perfectly. Maybe sometime we should do a popper swap like we did the other fly swap. What do you think?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Sounds interesting, BUT my life is in limbo. I've been tying to fill out my "Outwest" flyboxes while sitting around. My wife has some med problems, Gall Bladder possibly, had to postpone Fla trip the day before we were to leave. Hopefully we'll get down there. My neighbors on the street "across the cove" from me have lost power. The top half of my next door neighbor's Pin Oak is laying in my side yard. I been walking through the area yesterday afternoon looking at iced up limbs hanging over lines. It snowing again and the weather is calling for more snow and WINDS Monday and Tuesday. We have bags packed ready to go to my daughters when we lose power.

I might be interested in a few months, but you could join one or start one here. www.flytyingforum.com or www.flyanglersonline.com. These pull in more tyers from a larger area. Their swaps usually fill in less than a day!!!!