Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Peerless

Does anyone have any experience or care to give a voice about the peerless reels that looks like some of the hardy reels?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 PM

They are pretty expensive reels. But look pretty nice. I have no personal experience. Most (at least 4) of my reels are Islander. It's a Canadian company that makes some great products.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM

I will check out this Islander reel. I agree peerless is expensive (very). I think my next reel will be a Bauer.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 AM

I picked one or two up at the fly expo in Atlanta over the weekend. They look nice and have some good weight to them. Nice quiet and smooth click and pawl. I cast a rod that had one on it and it seemed to balance it out nicely. Never fished with one though. I know Bill Oyster caught a monster striper on one of his six weights with a click and pawl peerless. I don't think I could afford one right now though. Personally, I think there are many better options out there for less money but if you like it, get it. I hope to buy one one day but that will be far off. They look great on a cane rod.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

That is where I seen them and played with them. Matter of fact it was at Bill Oysters stand I looked at it and cast his rods. I had posted last week asking if anyone was planning on attending, we could have finally met. I agree those are nice reels but $650 nice I am not sure.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM

I thought I wasn't going to be able to go but at the last minute I decided to run over on Sunday morning. We were back in Birmingham by 2:00. What did you think of Bill Oyster's rods?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Beautiful and cast like a dream. The hollow cane that he builds is the one I cast with the wulf triangle taper line. They cast better than any graphite I have ever cast. His mastery rods with the engraving detail that he does himself is perfect. We were over there sunday at 10.00 and did not leave till the last seminar about photographing you catch was done. Bill oyster prove to every one in his casting demo that cane could cast as well as the new high modules graphite. I definately like the flamed rods more than the blonde.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM

That hollow rod you cast was the first hollow rod he has made. It was a good caster. I chatted with him about the hollow rod and how much weight it saves. I have made two hollow rods so far and mine have saved about 25%. One rod is finished, the other still needs to be wrapped. His finish work is amazing and really gives me something to strive for. That is all I have thought about since last Sunday.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM

one day soon when this weather breaks I am coming down and see your rods. From all your photos that I have seen, you make a good looking rod yourself. I to have though real hard about those since sunday. I love that presidential that he made for Jimmy Carter. The engraving of the presidential seal on the end cap is awesome.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM

I thought I wouldn't like the engraving because it would be to gawdy but after seeing it in person, it looked very classy. I can't say enough about what I thought about the presentation of his rods. My jaw dropped when I picked up the first one. Having never held any other bamboo than the ones I have made I was anxious to get to the show. I knew that Bill Oyster is supposed to be one of the best so I was really wanting to see what is capable. Thanks for the compliments about the pictures but don't expect to see an Oyster quality rod when you make it down. I actually went home and sanded my first hex down and polished the finish back to a bright shine and it looks ten times better. I still have a lot to learn but will get there.