Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted here and I somehow missed it.
Actually, I think this fish has been posted before!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM

First off...nvr, that's hilarious!

Second off...I would seriously be scared that that fish would try to eat my foot....Well, not really, but if I saw it swim past my, I'd probably not be able to cast for a few minutes at least!!!

Congrats on the fish!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milligan Trout Phenom View Post
can i ask if you caught it on the egg pattern?
I did not catch the fish (although gosh, I sure wish I did!). A guy named Travis France did. I don't know him personally.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 AM

charlie, that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. the brown has gotta be a state record.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM

NVR... That is too funny bro...

I must say that it is not always the accomplishments of men that gain my greatest respect; by releasing the fish; I have the utmost respect for Travis!

Second point, always take a camera. You can get a fake fish mount cheaper than a real one and it will look closer to the real deal.

Good Job Travis!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Current record is 28.75 lbs from the Clinch River. Had this fish been officially weighed it possibly could have been a new record. If TN had a separate record for fly caught fish, I would put money on it beating that record.

However, it says a lot about somebody who chooses to release a fish of that size. I consider myself a C&R fisherman, but I have never had to make a decision regarding a fish of that size.

Didn't I read something recently about how some states are looking at considering using the formula calculated weights in determining record status? Maybe in a recent issue of FlyFisherman Magazine.....
Fly fisherman mag ran a article about a new method coming out and the possibilities of it being used for claiming records. Had some cool graphs and stats along with it. I forget what the new formula was but im sure i have the magazine around somewhere.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 PM

Default LOL Charlie B

Charlie -

You made me laugh loud!

sb
Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 PM

The article is the May 2008 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine, page 12. The author, Tom Keelin, measured 102 fish (mainly steelhead), and came up with the formula: weight=length x girth(squared)/690.

There is another snippet in the September 2008 issue of a giant brown that is estimated at 41.66 lbs using the above formula. In that same article it states that the IGFA all-tackle record brown trout is 40lb 4oz.

Comparing the fish in this post to the photo in the the September 2008 article, I'd venture a guess that this fish weighs closer to 40lbs, rather than the 25-30 mentioned earlier.

Either way, that's an awesome fish and maybe I'll be that lucky why I hit the Caney in a couple hours!