Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM

I think air squats are good. Just bodyweight squats where you go down until your thighs are at least parallel to the ground, and then back up.

The first time I tried them, last March, I did a hundred over the course of twenty minutes or so. This was on the second floor of my gym, and my thighs were so fried that I could barely get down the stairs to the first floor. One of the gym employees took one look at me and asked if I was alright. Over the next few days, my thighs were so sore that I couldnít walk down the porch steps without wincing in pain at every step. They even hurt just lying still in bed. My advice is donít do a hundred the first time.

Anyway, after I recovered from that and continued doing them, it seemed like I felt more agile making my way around in a rocky stream, stepping up and down on rocks, climbing banks, etc., and it seemed like maybe my legs werenít as tired as they normally would have been after a day of that kind of activity. I dunno, just my impression.

Just do it like the girls in this video. Piece of cake.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_TabataSquats.wmv

-Milton
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post
there's on off-season?

weights three days a week and baseball conditioning keep me in fishing shape. Hiking mountains in the summer keeps me in baseball shape.
There's a baseball shape? I'm not sure how long John Kruk or David Wells would last boulder hopping.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I think air squats are good. Just bodyweight squats where you go down until your thighs are at least parallel to the ground, and then back up.

The first time I tried them, last March, I did a hundred over the course of twenty minutes or so. This was on the second floor of my gym, and my thighs were so fried that I could barely get down the stairs to the first floor. One of the gym employees took one look at me and asked if I was alright. Over the next few days, my thighs were so sore that I couldnít walk down the porch steps without wincing in pain at every step. They even hurt just lying still in bed. My advice is donít do a hundred the first time.
If you really want to burn up your thighs, try doing one air squat following the "Slow Burn" technique:

With your arms extended in front of your body at shoulder height, begin a downward movement, taking a full three seconds to move just one inch downward. Allow your body to continue downward to the lowest position over the next seven seconds for a full ten count. When you reach bottom, do not stop or rest but immediately begin to return to a fully upright position using the same counting technique - three seconds to move through the first upward inch and seven seconds to return to a fully upright position. Then, if you think you can, try a second one.

If you've not heard of it, the Slow Burn exercise regimen should only be done once a week... your body will need the recovery time!
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Sounds like skiing would do the same as air squats . More fun !!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Default Exercise suggestion

I would suggest cycling. Not only can you build stamina and cardio-health but because this form of exercise is "low-impact" you can naturally stay at it for longer periods and use a lot of calories.....not to mention the built-in benefit of transportation
Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Default excercise

excercise for fishing! I normally try to stay just sober enough to cast.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM

I played the wii tennis the other night and i am not to sure that want count for exercise. It sure wore me out.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Find something fun.

It sounds like you just need some ďgeneral fitnessĒ. In that case, there is no magical form of exercise. The secret is to find something that you enjoy and stick with it. If you arenít having fun, youíll probably quit after a few weeks. I think the people on the message board are recommending things that they enjoy Ė thatís great. Donít get too hung-up on programs/equipment that you see on TV or read in magazines. Most of those people are just trying to sell you something.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM

The reason why i posted this question was their was show on what common injuries happen to people who flyfishing. The study done at the univ. of montana . The put those little balls on you , then film your motion in casting. Shoulder injuries , wrist . They were able to pick up bad habits that allot of us pick up.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

put your hands on your shoulders.....thumb and forefinger together.....lift forefinger of each hand up and down