Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM

CinciVol, thanks for the twohikers link.
I'm going to look into this myself, but maybe someone already has the answer. What are the park regulations and requirements when it comes to hiking unmaintained trails or no trail at all? Obviously when we are fishing up a stream, we are not necessarily on a maintained trail. Just wondering what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM

Hey MtnMike there are no regulations against hiking on unmaintained trails or even on no trail at all. I am sure if you ask a ranger they may try and disuade you but it ain't against the law as they say. There is an unmaintained trail right behind the greenbriar ranger station that leads to injun creek and I have taken it before waving at the rangers as I set out and parking right there at the ranger station.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I am not sure if this is accurate or not, but I believe the prk gives an off trail hiking permit for bushwhackers who want to travel by compass and such. I don't think they have any problem with it as long as you don't have a fire. I believe you can even get a backcountry permit as long as there is no fire. Once again, I am not sure this is accurate but I soon will be finding out as I am planning on some deeper treks this year.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Defeat Ridge Trail up towards Sams Creek is also an unmaintained trail if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there are a lot of trails whose only maintenance is the regular foot travel of folks like us.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Yeah usually there is an old logging trail of some sort close by. Straight Fork is another prime example, i just wish it went all the way to Balsam Corner.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Be sure you are not at the wrong "Three Forks"!

Don't forget there are two places in the Smokies labeled Three Forks...but only one big pool!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 PM

When I was first starting to fish the Park my relatives mostly referred to areas rather than specific streams....Elkmont, Greenbrier, Tremont, Sportsman's Stream(WPLP)....one particular area that we sometimes fished was above Elkmont beyond campsite #30....this area was known within our circle as 3 Forks....am sure there must be other such areas in the park.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM

My dad has fished it back in the day. He is a surveyor and very good with maps. He has said that he would love to take me up there sometime, but his knees just will not hold up these days. He has fished in the most rugged places in the mountains and he told me that this area was one of, if not the worst. He said the fishing was great and the old growth forest is incredible. I want to make the trip sometime when I have enough days off from work to explore it thoroughly.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Default hey duckypaddler

Hey James...shoot me an email with the scanned hiking guide for Raven Fork/Big Pool. I am planning to spend my first night at Pecks Corner and the next day going to see two old plane crashes off Mt Sequoyah then drop on down to Big Pool. I will be seeking an off trail overnight permit in the area then on day three (hopefully) go up Breakneck Ridge to C44 spend the night and come out.

jeffwadley@bellsouth.net
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Smile Done!

Anyone else want them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Hey James...shoot me an email with the scanned hiking guide for Raven Fork/Big Pool. I am planning to spend my first night at Pecks Corner and the next day going to see two old plane crashes off Mt Sequoyah then drop on down to Big Pool. I will be seeking an off trail overnight permit in the area then on day three (hopefully) go up Breakneck Ridge to C44 spend the night and come out.

jeffwadley@bellsouth.net