Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Tying Some Tiny Streamers

They say my 4wt won't carry streamers, but I'll show 'em. I'll have to stick to light weight materials, but I think it can be done. Any thoughts? Am I being foolish?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 AM

I throw size 12 buggers at some point about everytime I go to a tailwater. Four wt will sling them fine. Then again, I throw four inch zonkers on the 4wt as well when I dont have my 8wt out. Which is often because I dont carry two rods with me while I'm wading and don't want to spend my time walking to and fro from the car.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Tie some mini-clousers using calf tail and the mini lead eyes. The calftail has great translucency when wet. They work great, especially for BIG bluegill. I have also caught brook trout and landlocked salmon on them in Maine, they make a great smelt imitation.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM

I ditto seagull's comments and would add, keep them "Sparse". I've seen to many flies tied in SE ASIA that follow the recipe of materials but not the intent of the tyer. I've found fishing streamers in Maine for LL's and Brookies worked better if tied sparse and going subtle on the flash, just a few strands. Shouldn't cause you any more problems than fishing a nymph. If you go with a clouser, watch your rod tip!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Try using the Belgian (elliptical) cast when throwing streamers. Most 4wts can handle standard wolly buggers, and small/ med size clousers out to fishable distances. Its when you get the really heavy leadeye or conehead streamers that it starts overloading smaller line wt rods. You could also get you a Teeny BS100, fish unweighted streamers and cast easily with light rods.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM

keep the belgian cast in mind when throwing multiple nymph rigs. Especially when tossing three or more. Open the loop enough and tangles are reduced dramatically.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks guys...Never heard of the Belgian cast (probably read about it and forgot it). I will look into it and thanks for the suggestions on the streamers.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM

I used a 3wt for along time throwing anything I wanted (with in reason). I like to throw a squirrel tail clouser on a #8 3366 mustad hook. I use mini eyes and it works great. I throw it on slow action canerods, and 4wt fiberglass rods. Whoever says you cannot streamer fish a 4wt just hasn't tried it. I use wt fwd lines or sink tips. (mainly wt fwd). that squirrel tail clouser has caught everything I have ever thrown it at.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM

Well, I don't have the best cast in the world either.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM

I fished the WB of the Penobscot with a 4wt. with wf sink tip with streamers- no problems. Big water with strong valley and mountain breezes
I just got and started reading a copy of Fulsher's Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series. Fulsher says Lew Oatman stressed smaller, toned sparser streamers. They were successful in smaller streams and heavily fished ones. Sounds like the streams in the park.
I would suggest trying out some Thunder Creeks if you want to try streamers and want a "light" fly.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum