Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Default "Popper Heads" try this!!!!

Playing around in my basement, I glued several sheets of 2 and 3 mm foam together for bee bodies. Then trying to make bodies by using a set of cheap punches by hand. The bodies were a mess. I then mounted the punch in a drill press- turned it on and took it down FAST. the bodies now looked like they came out of a package! The faster I took it down the "cleaner" the edges.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Kytroutbum,

What RPM works best on your drill press?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM

2340RPM's so far. Still playing. I found that glued together 2 and 3 mm sheets appear to be "stiffer" than the letter foamies I've found. I'm trying a lobster pot bouy I found in Maine. I'm playing around with several things, as I'm cleaning up. Just got done with a make shift epoxy drying wheel. Clearance rotissary motor.I've got several Myakka Minnows ready to go on it.
I am also "playing" with using a rotary tool to make a lathe. I found instructions on how to use a handmake some casting lures- Muskie, Pike, Bass types. I am interested in making some fly rod size out of foam.
Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM

what were you using for punches? I have been trying to figure something out to do this same thing.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM

I believe they are a leather punch, I picked mine up in a tool shop in PF around $5.00. LRO,also, had some at one time (after I got mine(:>). My drills only will hold upto 5/16. I've seen online larger ones punched one layer at a time then glued. These then can be shaped by putting on a needle in a dremel and shaping with an emery board. WWW.Flyanglersonline.com has a set up under fly archives- 1st quarter 2003 and 3rd quarter 2005 Creative Foam Fly Tying and cfft- dremel bugs. I'm using a cheap rotary tool as a lathe. Also, Under Features- Panfish- down a long ways they do a tutorial on Popper making with wood- Poppers 101 if you are interested.

You can also get tubing at a craft store- hobby shop and sharpen them. They work just as well.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks kytroutbum,

I will have try and find me some of those leather punches some where. Also I might try copper tubing in a drill press after sharpening one end of it with my dremal.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM

Try this take the same foam and using super glue roll it really tight. I make some big popper bodies this way. I then take my dremel and cup the front. That takes most of the spiral from the rolling out the paint will get the rest. Easy and cheap way to make them.

STU