Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM

Snaildarter, I hope I didn't offend you with my comments. I know TWRA doesn't think that the trout are doing much reproduction in the Caney but that is the same thing they thought about the SoHo for years and likewise what KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife thought about the Cumberland...

Yanking any fish off a redd is easy including wild fish so I don't buy the stocker versus wild fish argument which is why there are closures on some of the truly great rivers like the SoHo. Fish are vulnerable during the spawn wild or not and should be protected regardless of whether or not they are successful. Yes, I do believe that it is unethical to keep fish that are caught off of redds but that's just me and I know most people don't hold the same standards... If you can't catch 'em when they are at their toughest, you don't deserve to take home a stringer full when they are easy...once again, strictly my opinion so take it with a grain of salt...

I agree that it would be nice to get some form of steady flows during the fall and winter to protect the eggs and fry. If I knew how to get started working towards that goal I would do it in a minute although I fear the solution just won't happen in my lifetime due to the "powers that be." If you have any suggestions to me to work towards this goal, please let me know. The Caney has the potential to be a great river if we could just get the regs adjusted. TWRA has taken steps in the right direction with the minimum length limit and I hope that they continue working towards solutions that will enhance the fishery for all.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM

ChemEAngler,

I think like you do. I guess we Chem E's think alike. I fish the Caney regularly and have said that I wish I had a badge multiple times. Saturday, my son and I saw at least 4 stringers with undersized browns on them. And a couple had more than 7 fish. The issue that the TWRA will probably quote is that we could endanger ourselves with writing citations. Several people I know carry cell phones and speed dial known violations. The issue is too much river and too little enforcement resource.

Flat Fly N nailed it when he talked about greed. Some people will use up the resources God has blessed this state with and don't give a hoot about others or the future. I like catching big trout the same as anyone else. I have caught my fair share of large fish on the Caney and returned them hopefully in shape to fight again. If someone wants to keep a few fish to eat, that's fine. Just use common sense, obey the regs and don't be greedy.

BTW, bluegill are a blast to catch on a 2 or 3wt or light spinning, taste better and are not in short supply.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Think this is getting hot????

Enjoy the "other" side of the arguement.....

These are some of the good old boys that published the info on the spawning redds from this fall now complaining that the big fish are gone. If you care you can go back into this past summer and check out the info this idiot gave away.. No wonder if TWRA is correct that the fish are being effected.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...1&nt=2&fpart=1

Let's try to stay above this on re: this arguement.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbrown View Post
Saturday, my son and I saw at least 4 stringers with undersized browns on them. And a couple had more than 7 fish. The issue that the TWRA will probably quote is that we could endanger ourselves with writing citations. Several people I know carry cell phones and speed dial known violations.
Just curious, did you call the poachers hotline when you saw this?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 AM

Any one have that number?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Hotline numbers

Region I 800-831-1173
Region II 800-255-8972
Region III 800-241-0767
Region IV 800-831-1174

I would think the Caney would be in Region II, however it may be in Region III. I've only fished it once.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Region I 800-831-1173
Region II 800-255-8972
Region III 800-241-0767
Region IV 800-831-1174

I would think the Caney would be in Region II, however it may be in Region III. I've only fished it once.

The Caney is actually in 2 regions, but is monitored and enforced typically by Region II. This debate on the regs, spawning, etc. has been ongoing for some time. I have fished this river for a long long time and it is my personal belief that there is some reproduction that is taking place since we now have a river that can sustain trout over a period of years and not just from season to season. We now have more consistent water temperatures as is proven by the results of the new min. flow sluice gates and registered on the Corps website at Stonewall, some 16 or 17 miles downstream. We have higher dissolved oxygen content then the river has ever had. Even during periods of no generation, the river is about 3 to 4 inches higher than it ever has been and that is recorded on the Corps websites.

The bottom line is that the full spectrum of fishermen from the Clampett's, to Sir Reginald Tweedjacket have to follow the rules and regulations for this river to be a viable resource in the future. That includes the fishing regulations, and the boating regulations which are often abused here as well. It's ok to have varied opinions about what the river is capable of doing and sustaining, that is how we keep things in check. I say, enforce the regulations and impose stiffer fines that sends the message that whomever you are, however you fish this river, you will respect the laws or you will pay the penalty. then once you get that in check, change the regulations to new regulations that will ensure the survival of this resource for years to come. If not, it will become just another tailwater that moves water from one dam to the next.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Region I 800-831-1173
Region II 800-255-8972
Region III 800-241-0767
Region IV 800-831-1174

Thank You, buzz.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFishnstix View Post
... from the Clampett's, to Sir Reginald Tweedjacket...
That made me laugh out loud. Gonna have to find a way to work that into a conversation some time.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM

i see a lot of fishermen on the caney. has anyone heard any more about the repairs that the army core is going to have to do to Center Hill? I heard at one point they will have to lower the lake to a point below the crack/hole in the dam and mountain so low that it will kill all the trout? i have not heard anything new for a while now. anyone know any updates. if it is true none of us will be worried about Bubba taking his limit.