Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Sounds reasonable that they will have to go down to where the crack is. I don't think any one is concerned that people take their limit. Most fly fishermen want A) A catch and release section B) Larger size limit on the fish C) No fishing when the fish are spawning, or at least catch and release only for them when they are spawning. That would still leave plenty of fish for those that want to take their limit and would satisfy those of us that want larger fish and to give the population a chance, however small, to repoduce on their own.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad134 View Post
.... has anyone heard any more about the repairs that the army core is going to have to do to Center Hill? I heard at one point they will have to lower the lake to a point below the crack/hole in the dam and mountain so low that it will kill all the trout? ..
Direct from the Corps Web Site. There is a lot to be learned from what they have on this site about the construction and what is planned.

Lake Levels throughout Construction

The seepage problems are made worse during continual high lake levels; therefore, maintaining lower lake elevations is necessary until we get a permanent remedy in place.

Since March of 2005, we have attempted to keep fall, winter and early spring lake levels from extreme rises. We have also attempted to operate the lake on the low end of our normal annual operating band. During construction, however, the Corps plans to target Center Hill Lake levels between elevation 630 feet above mean sea level (msl) in the summer and no lower than elevation 618 msl during the late fall and early winter.

These elevations are approximately five to ten feet lower than recent pool operating levels, and as much as eighteen feet lower than normal operating levels. During the five year repair period, this interim pool operation will be periodically re-evaluated to determine if Center Hill Lake can be safely raised, maintained, or if further lowering is necessary to ensure safety.

The chosen levels are the result of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) developed over the past year. The EIS evaluated potential impacts caused by each of nine lake level alternatives.

The process included consideration of safety concerns, potential impact to project purposes, and the views of the State of Tennessee, other federal agencies, affected stakeholders, and the public. The goal of the EIS was to identify an alternative that balanced the safety of the downstream human and natural environment against the reduction of project benefits from water supply, water quality, recreation, navigation, and hydropower.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 AM

Just my opinion, but not letting someone fish for spawning browns is like not letting hunters hunt deer during the rut or turkeys in the spring...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
Just my opinion, but not letting someone fish for spawning browns is like not letting hunters hunt deer during the rut or turkeys in the spring...
Except that the deer and turkeys aren't raised in pens and deer and turkeys don't take their entire local population to one specific field and reproduce basically all at once. I don't understand the problem with this. These fish are very easy to catch the rest of the year. If I can catch them, any one can. It's not like we are saying "don't catch them and keep them at all." Why not use a little sound judgment so that every one has a decent shot at a large fish and at a time when they are not the most vulnerable, like a good sportsman? Take the other 11 months of the year and keep your limit.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Then the rainbows run at a different time. Fishing is closed the month of march here in NC in public water. What about the park? Lake run fish run up out of Fontana and other lakes, I tink there just needs to be a little enforcement done, a few more checks and tickets written.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Just like on the SoHo, there is plenty of good spawning shoals and it would be easy to close some of the most crucial while leaving others open to fishing. The big difference between fishing for spawners on the Caney and on the SoHo is that most everyone releases their fish on the SoHo while most bait guys are taking the large fish on the Caney... My problem is not with fishing for them as much as it is everyone and their brother taking 2-3 of the large fish. When everyone on the river does that, there just aren't too many large fish left and then a few months later they all want to know why the fishing isn't good anymore...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM

i catch and release during spawning is fine with me.

also a increase in the rainbow size would be nice. i mean bump it up to 14 inches. i think that would help them out alot.

also i don't think i seen a slot limit idea thrown in here. like 18-24inches for browns? just ideas

also just throwing this out there. everytime i go to the caney 6 times last yr and once this yr soo far. i have caught atleast one brown over 20inches. sometimes two or three per trip.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
also a increase in the rainbow size would be nice. i mean bump it up to 14 inches. i think that would help them out alot.

also i don't think i seen a slot limit idea thrown in here. like 18-24inches for browns? just ideas
These are excellent ideas...especially the slot limit on browns. Could just make it a trophy brown fishery and release all fish under 22" or 24" instead of 18". Like I've seen someone mention either on here or on other boards, the 18" minimum has made it a fishery full of 17" browns...nice to catch but a bunch of 20"-24" fish would provide more fun for all.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
These are excellent ideas...especially the slot limit on browns. Could just make it a trophy brown fishery and release all fish under 22" or 24" instead of 18". Like I've seen someone mention either on here or on other boards, the 18" minimum has made it a fishery full of 17" browns...nice to catch but a bunch of 20"-24" fish would provide more fun for all.
i agree. i love to fish the caney and catch ALOT of 14-16inch browns. think what it would be like with a slot.

and the same goes for the rainbows. it would make the rainbow fishing there Crazy good.

i mean i know you will still have alot of foul hooked fish(bait fishing). but over all i think it would help the river alot.

also i think it would be good for the state to increase the limits on the rainbow and browns in all tailwaters. i mean come on a 7inch fish is a minnow. why not bump it to 12 or 14inches. think what that would do for the Elk and Duck and alot of other tailwaters in our state.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Good luck on the slot guys. It could happen, but just look at how heated the discussion got when proposing it on the Clinch. Plus the fact that the Caney is the primary coldwater fishery in that area, you are going to have an even greater percentage of meat fishermen who focus on that tailwater. Luckily it got passed on the Clinch, and the fishery has been improving ever since. Now it just needs a little more enforcement.

The guy who insists on the water that a 12" trout tastes better than a 18" trout, is the same guy who will be fighting against a 14-20" slot limit. Some people just don't like regulations or change.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler