Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Default my two cents

i have been fishing the caney since i moved back to crossville last june....throughout the summer the fishing was extreamly good... it was an average day to catch 2-3 dozen fish...from 10 -14 inches... during this time i would find each weekend and even my week day off increasing numbers of fisherman...and with more people came more declining catches...and the number of 16inch and up fish has dwindled alot....as a matter of fact just this past sunday we came across 3 people at happy hollow with a stringer full of undersized browns... some guy that was with his sons let the fish go ....lol... good for him a bit braver than i those folks could have had a gun lol lol...it would be nice to see some out of uniform patrol fishing the river ...or at least walking around with a rod blending in and writing people up for illeagle fish....im sure there is some natural reproduction on the river but i would think the heavy discharge we saw this fall would keep it to a minimum..trout will surprise you with the spawning abilities..being from erie pa. the biologist tryed to tell us that the stocked steelhead trout that make their fall migration did not spawn but the small stream next to where i lived will tell another story...i so i agree that a catch and release season is a good idea from say sept - nov..and drop the legal limit during the rest of the season and raise the size on rainbows to a 10 inch minimum...then see if we can get the tva and the twra to work together to find a happy medium for generations during the fall spawn .... my 2 cents being said who is ready to get together and form some kind of informal group and find a way to get our ideas in front of the twra and the tva...send me an email at fishingman62@hotmail.com ...and lets see what we can do to preserve this great tn river..
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
These are excellent ideas...especially the slot limit on browns. Could just make it a trophy brown fishery and release all fish under 22" or 24" instead of 18". Like I've seen someone mention either on here or on other boards, the 18" minimum has made it a fishery full of 17" browns...nice to catch but a bunch of 20"-24" fish would provide more fun for all.
I'd like that, because then I might have a chance at catching one

My biggest fish is still an 18" rainbow.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Good luck on the slot guys. It could happen, but just look at how heated the discussion got when proposing it on the Clinch. Plus the fact that the Caney is the primary coldwater fishery in that area, you are going to have an even greater percentage of meat fishermen who focus on that tailwater. Luckily it got passed on the Clinch, and the fishery has been improving ever since. Now it just needs a little more enforcement.

The guy who insists on the water that a 12" trout tastes better than a 18" trout, is the same guy who will be fighting against a 14-20" slot limit. Some people just don't like regulations or change.
you are right it would be easy. but i don't keep a trout thats 7-10'' just too small to mess with. now those 12-15'' fish to me are about the right eating size.

the first time i floated the caney last yr. i seen two fisherman with two stringers full or 7-10'' trout. and i was like man those things are hardly worth keeping. i mean i know they eat fine. but i would like alittle more meat.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM

My largest is a 17 1/2" rainbow. I would love to hook into a 22" + brown. That would be awesome. I like some of yalls ideas on this.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
My largest is a 17 1/2" rainbow. I would love to hook into a 22" + brown. That would be awesome. I like some of yalls ideas on this.
its great. just takes some time and patiance.

we floated the caney two weeks ago.and caught about 50 fish. and one brown was 21inches and a few where right at 18. and a few rainbows and that pushed 17-18.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 AM

TWRA is taking comments on what you would like to see as far as regulations go, you've posted them here, how about here:
twra.comments@state.tn.us

Email them with your opinions, save it to file & send it once a week

Grumpy
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
TWRA is taking comments on what you would like to see as far as regulations go, you've posted them here, how about here:

Grumpy

great. i will do just that.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Grumpy
I know that this was the first step that many of us wanting a slot limit on the Clinch took a couple years ago. Don't think your comments will go unnoticed. I received a follow-up email shortly afterward from someone stating that the outpouring of comments on the Clinch River was overwhelming.

Pound them with comments and suggestions, it will only take 5 minutes of your time. Who knows the right person may see it and propose a change to Caney regs.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Commission meetings

TWRA also openly invites the public to attend their commission meetings and will recognize and listen to what is said if you attend. 2009 changes have already been incorporated. Beginning in late March or Early April, they will be soliciting input for proposals to 2010 changes. Organizing and providing information and ideas to them is a good idea. First steps are to get an agreement on proposals. If there is general consensus of opinon on what needs to be changed in regulations, there is a lot better chance of getting approval and positive action.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

that TWRA email did not work.