Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Last week, I sent an email to TWRA about regulation change proposals and how to go about the process. Here is the reply from Frank Fist:

Quote:
Mr. Knapp,
We request angler comments annually in April. Simply email TWRA.comment@state.tn.us.
This is good time to tell the biologists what you like and do not like about your favorite fisheries. We use these comments to get a sense of problems or support for new directions in management across the state. This is your best time describe a problem and offer solutions. We typically get a 50-150 comments a year. You do not have to have a large group of supporters to comment- it's not a vote.

Your next opportunity is in the Fall when regulations are proposed to the Commission. If you see something you like, email a supporting letter, if you don't like what is being proposed (or that something is not being proposed) you should tell us that also.

You can also call your regional office to discuss issues at a specific tailwater, or contact the Nashville office (Jason.Henegar@state.tn.us) for statewide issues.

We look forward to your comments. Thanks for your concern.
Frank.

That email (the one in the email above) should work but it looks like April is the month they normally want to be receiving the suggestions. I'm sure a few early ones won't hurt though. The part I want to point out to everyone is that they normally only receive 50-150 comments a year. As he says, it isn't a vote but if enough people care about the same issue that has to count for something. Come on guys and gals...at the least send in an email that says you want to see the Caney Fork continue to improve as a trout fishery. I believe it can be a trophy brown trout fishery with the proper regulations and a little enforcement (or trophy trout in general but the folks that keep fish have to have something they can keep). As others have suggested it would also be nice to see a slot limit on the rainbows or at least a minimum size limit. That river can really grow fish quickly if given the opportunity...

By the way, the email you were using is almost correct, just a very small difference...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Plateu Angler,

Will you take charge and remind us in April?

BRF
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
We should pick one river and focus on it.
The Caney, definitely. It needs the most help. I'm sure a slot limit or lowering the daily limit would put out down a lot of fishermen, and make it a less crowded but more quality fishery. We can do this guys!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
The Caney, definitely. It needs the most help. I'm sure a slot limit or lowering the daily limit would put out down a lot of fishermen, and make it a less crowded but more quality fishery. We can do this guys!
We need enforcement, regs alone will not work!

Grumpy
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Grumpy
Gotta agree with Grumpy on this one...if there was more enforcement of the existing regs it would help a lot I think.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Grumpy
Grumpy is 100% right. If we had solid reinforcement with penalties that made a difference in someone's decision to break the rules, then the addition of more regulations may not be needed with the exception of slot limits, and culling fish. Patrolling a 27 mile river with 2 agents makes it an almost impossible task to catch violators on a consistent basis. I remember times of seeing several agents on the river at one time when there were less people fishing than there are now.

I think one of the most important things that could be done to help them is for everyone that carries a cell phone on the river has the TWRA hotline number already in the phone and makes the call when they observe violations. TWRA suggests that making direct contact with perpetrators should not be done, and I agree.

Another issue that keeps coming up is the addition of a Trophy section on the river. That won't happen as long as the Smith County ordinance is standing. They passed a law that says that no regulation may be applied to a section of the river that does not apply to the whole river.

Having a unified goal is still the key in accomplishing change.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Now that we have the e-mail addy straight, let's email what we've seen on the river as far as "law breaking" goes.
We need more enforcement, we see the regs being broke every trip & that is part of TWRA's job, to protect & preserve wildlife
I have witnessed first hand why regs work in neighboring states, enforcement! I can't begin to count the # of folks that come in & say they've never been checked for a license
I'm not blaming the officers, they have to do what they're told to do & that is cover the lake & a huge area of hunting territory. We need more officers, bottom line & then they don't receive a lot of money on a fine paid in the court system, the court system receives the biggest chunk of change.
What we have is "repeated" offenders that are getting away with this, if caught poaching "big game" repeatedly, they lose guns, vehicles , hunting privleges & even jail time, i would expect no less for a fish poacher.
Then again, is the court system doing it's part for the violators coming before them

Grumpy
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Now that we have the e-mail addy straight, let's email what we've seen on the river as far as "law breaking" goes.
We need more enforcement, we see the regs being broke every trip & that is part of TWRA's job, to protect & preserve wildlife
I have witnessed first hand why regs work in neighboring states, enforcement! I can't begin to count the # of folks that come in & say they've never been checked for a license
I'm not blaming the officers, they have to do what they're told to do & that is cover the lake & a huge area of hunting territory. We need more officers, bottom line & then they don't receive a lot of money on a fine paid in the court system, the court system receives the biggest chunk of change.
What we have is "repeated" offenders that are getting away with this, if caught poaching "big game" repeatedly, they lose guns, vehicles , hunting privleges & even jail time, i would expect no less for a fish poacher.
Then again, is the court system doing it's part for the violators coming before them

Grumpy
I agree completely, however, if I may make an observation...

I've been fly fishing in East Tennessee for 25 years - mostly in the Smokies, but I've also done my fair share of tailwater fishing. In 25 years I've only had my license checked 3 times! The first was by a park ranger four years ago in the Smokies. The other 2 times were both last summer and both on the Caney!!

It ain't perfect, but the system definitely seems to be working better on the Caney than on other tailwaters. I guess you could use that as a measure of just how bad some of the other tailwaters are

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
I agree completely, however, if I may make an observation...

I've been fly fishing in East Tennessee for 25 years - mostly in the Smokies, but I've also done my fair share of tailwater fishing. In 25 years I've only had my license checked 3 times! The first was by a park ranger four years ago in the Smokies. The other 2 times were both last summer and both on the Caney!!

It ain't perfect, but the system definitely seems to be working better on the Caney than on other tailwaters. I guess you could use that as a measure of just how bad some of the other tailwaters are

Gerry
I have to second Gerry's observation. I have only fished the Caney one weekend, but that weekend there was a TWRA officer patrolling the area below the dam and guys out on a boat checking licenses as well. That may not be normal, but that is just what I have seen. I have fished the Clinch for 15 years and have never had my license checked. Last Saturday I saw the first TWRA officer at the Clinch ever. However, he was just driving by, and didn't stop to check licenses or creels. I have been checked almost every time I have been in the Smokies.

Poaching happens everywhere, we all just need to have our cell phones on us to call in anytime we see illegal activity.

However, it never hurts to send an email voicing your concerns.

You want to see poaching sometime, just follow me to Melton Hill tailwater when the white, yellow, and striped bass are active. I have never seen so many foreigners that don't speak a bit of English keeping everything they catch. And the TWRA officers just watch them. That is pathetic!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Default Fyi

TWRA id funded from our license sales. More officers, means a higher price for our licenses.

TWRA gets exactly $0 from each ticket. It goes into the general fund, not to TWRA.

Cheapest method there is, is to keep the poaching hotline # programed into your cell phone, and call when you see a violation. The more phone calls they recieve, the more likelly they are to patrol the river more heavily.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 02-24-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: offered more info