Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Best way to not have your experience is always go upstream in a motorized boat.

I have so many there isn't space to list them all here. Other members of this forum have unfortunately been along with me on several.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Back in the 80tys went to russian river alaska fish for 3 hours fish jump out trow hook hook ended up in my left eye now no eyesite ohh well still fish 150 pluss days a year guesss thats just combat keep castin guys
Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Best way to not have your experience is always go upstream in a motorized boat.
So True! I have heard that a million times since then....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM

When I started out fly fishing I managed to forget something or other when heading out to the Park...the worst was getting to Abrams after fighting tourist traffic (now I know better when to go) and forgetting my flybox - had taken it out to fill my night before ties, talk about that sinking feeling...but as it turned out I had my fishing hat that I kept a few flies in - a thunderhead and a pheasant tail...turns out it was all I needed. Also, its suprising what useful assortment of flies can be found in streamside vegetation from others errant casts ...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM

I once had the same thing happen to me. I had taken all boxes out of my vest to clean and organize, and add a few mew additions to the boxes.

I left out before daylight and drove an hour and a half into the CNF. Got to the stream and started rigging up when I realized I'd left every fly I owned at home.

I ended up spending an hour walking the banks, retrieving flies out of trees. I not only found enough flies to use for the entire day, but enough tippet as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Default Looking back not so bad but at the time...

My dad and I were scheduled to go out in my new-to-me but still 20 years old v-hull row boat powered by a 6 horse martin outboard. The motor is from WWII era. My father had owned it since he came back from the war. The martin didn't run too well, when it go hot it slipped out of gear. Son (me)gets to row back. No fishing that weekend. Next weekend son has purchased the 20 year old evnirude that the owner of boat tried to sell me when he sold me the boat and trailer. Launch boat fire up motor head out into cove and down the fingers of the lakes. Make our way well up into the shallows and fish for bluegills. Having a great father son experience. Deer are coming down to the lake edge to drink. Norman Rockwell would have been proud.

It is time to leave so dad fires up motor and we start out of the shallows. Haven't gone far, still 10-15 miles back down the fingers and into the hand of the lake when the motor dies and smell of fuel is getting stronger. Dry rot had gotten the fuel line from the connection in the cowling to the engine. I had thought to replace the line from the tank to cowling but not the other. So every time dad squeezes the bulb, fuel is spritzing the lake. By this time the sun in high, the temps have passed 85 and the son is hot but rowing.

Since he has little to do dad decides to have an adult beverage produced using fine grains and hops, son is rowing and panting. A bass boat with about 150 hp motor pulls up and asks is everything ok? to which dad responds, "we're fine" before I can say anything due to my dry throat. These bass guys take off and leave us clocking at what seems to be 90 mph.

Once I get the ability to speak I say to dad "next time somebody offers help take it" Norman Rockwell would have been running away by this point. The next big bass boat rolls up and offers some help and I say yes. They tow us back to the dock (fastest that row boat ever went) and as they start to pull off we offer to pay them which they decline but they had been noticing the old man's beverage of choice on this hot day. We offer them that which they gladly accept and we call the deal fair.

30 years later, I now wade, but still have the 6hp Martin OB in the basement.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM

A lot of times you can get lemonade from these lemony experiences. On my son's first backcountry fishing trip with me he lost all of his spinning tackle down the river within the first hour after we reached the campsite. Told him this was the perfect opportunity to get cranked into fly fishing....by the end of the next day he was catching trout on the fly and telling me where to fish. Several years later we were fishing the LR below Elkmont after setting up camp and within the first 10 minutes my son was on a rock in the middle of the river with my Orvis one weight in two broken pieces. Off to LRO to have it shipped to Orvis which sent me a brand new rod. Meanwhile my son went to my pack rod and proclaimed he like it better than the Orvis....he got a new experience and I got my rod back from him....both trips ended up full of memories and laughs.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Treecatcher2
Good story! I reckon that you would probably relish a day to go back and do that all over again!

Thanks for sharing!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Last Wed I was up at 4:30am to work at a client's plant. The plan was that after a short session, I would go to the Holston below Cherokee. I was in the parking lot around 9am. Strung the rod and took my wallet out of my pocket to put it into my bag, so I would have my license with me...license!? Oh, Oh!!! Forgot to get it renewed.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Where to start. Some times I think I am related to the old time keystone cops of the silent era! My son and I decided to go after some big bull bluegill during the mayfly hatch. Put the boat in the water with my then 10 year old son in it while I went to park the trailer. Started out and could not get the boat on plane, about 100 yards of the bank I realized I FORGOT THE DRAIN PLUG! Two choices, tie to the dock and get the trailer while the boat steadily fills up with water, or BEACH IT! I chose the later. By this time the water is up to the tops of the batteries, Handed my son my billfold, car keys and cell phone, over the side I went and had to put the plug in by swimming under the boat(engine not running of course) I found out real quick that clothes do not dry very fast in the high heat and humidity of summer, especially when you have to wear them all day! The day was not lost we caught some nice fish and still talk about that day still.