Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Hello from Knoxville

Just wanted to let everyone know a little about myself. I have fished all of my life, but am new to the sport of fly fishing. I am very excited to learn and to pick up pointers from you pro's! I have had a fly rod for many years and just decided to blow the dust off of it and give it a try. I am in the process of buying the gear necessary to get started. I am looking for any suggestions you may have as far as what kind of waders to purchase. I will be fishing mainly in the East TN area, including The Great Smoky Mountains. I have done some research on waders, but don't know whether I should get a pair with boots attached, or ones without boots and buy those seperately. I also don't know what type of soles are best for East TN fishing, felt or lug soles. I appreciate any input! Thanks and have a good one!

"Your life is God's gift to you, what you do with it is your gift to God."
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Default back at you

When I bought my waders I went with the separate boot and wader since i wore one size in the wader but the boots were a different size entirely. I could have gone upmarket for the wader boot combo that would have allowed a great deal more choice but since I am cheap I went with separates.

I also wear the boots with shorts when it is too hot to wear the waders but then not all my fly fishing is for trout

Maybe this helps
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM

1st of all I would like to say welcome to the board and I love the signature on your post. I also purchase seperates so that I can wet waid with shorts and just boots, my neoprenes are seperate along with hip waders. 1 pair of boots for 3 different situations. Choata is probably the best boots around and I love them. Take some time and go to LRO and look over the choices and you can decide on your own pro's and con's.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. You bring up a good point about being too hot to wear waders during certain times of the year. Maybe seperate boots are the way to go!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Welcome

Welcome to the board! As far as waders go, I own a pair of White River breathable stocking foot waders, and use Chota STL felt soled boots. The waders are very comfortable,reasonably priced, and durable, and the boots are very, very good as well. Hope this helps.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Last edited by bigpopper; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM

I appreciate the feedback. This will help alot when I go to LRO this weekend to shop around. Thanks also for the welcome! I am glad to be a member now, and I look forward to spending time reading and learning from everyone's posts and feedback!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Wet Wade

Welcome to the LRO family APM!

I have waders that I wear only in the winter. From March through November, wet wading in the Smokies is my preference by far. Keep 'em separate!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com