Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Not that I need them with my young eyes
Lee,
I was just about to wish you a happy birthday but you had to go and rub the youth thing in didn't you?

Oh well, Happy Birthday anwyay. Like others have said, it's really great to see a young fellow getting into fly fishing or any outdoor sport for that matter.

You'd be welcome to share a stretch of stream with me anytime.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Thank you Jeff, Its kina nice to be able to thread a bead onto a 22 hook with your bare hands. I will enjoy those abilities while I still can
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM

I love the CF boxes also, I just wish they were waterproof.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM

In addition to my materials, I also picked up "less expensive", but still great fly box. I cant remember the name, but its waterproof and has a special midge holder
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Talking That's ok...we're older, but we have more insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Lee,
I was just about to wish you a happy birthday but you had to go and rub the youth thing in didn't you?

Jeff
Hey Jeffnles...sure tslayer can thread a size 22 with his "young" eyes...but can he put on his waders without having to go wee wee as soon as he gets his wader belt buckled? Oh wait that's me

Just wait Troutslayer...you have a Prostate too!

Seriously! hope you had a great B'day! make the most of all of them
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer3393 View Post
Thank you Jeff, Its kina nice to be able to thread a bead onto a 22 hook with your bare hands. I will enjoy those abilities while I still can
Lee,
Enjoy it while you can, my friend! I don't think I really appreciated my youth until that morning I woke up and realized I was no longer young. I believe I came to that realization about 3 days after a hike and noticed things still hurt or, it could have been when I started noticing my arms were getting shorter because I could no longer hold a book far enough away to be able to see the words printed on the pages. Without my bi-focals, all I see now are a bunch of fuzzy black markings on the white page

One thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that age and treachery will always prevail over youth and enthusiasm...

You see, now that I have to put my magnifying glasses on and hold that #20 BWO in the forecepts while trying to get these shaky hands to thread a 7X tippet through what I assume is an eye in the end of that hook, all that time required allows the trout to settle down from my water buffalo like wading skills and the frothing I made in the water with my casts before the last #20 BWO fell victim to a stream side tree.

There are some benefits to being old.

Oh, by the way, please do write you contact info on your new fly boxes. Even though you can still see those little flies, sooner or later, you will drop the box in the river or leave it sitting beside the stream somewhere. I'd really hate to find your box somewhere and not know it was yours or how to contact you.

I hope you catch a bunch of fish and enjoy your time fishing. Every man is alloted so many days in this life and I am starting to think the ones he spends fishing are not counted among his allotment!

Jeff
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Lightbulb Fly Threader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
You see, now that I have to put my magnifying glasses on and hold that #20 BWO in the foreceps while trying to get these shaky hands to thread a 7X tippet through what I assume is an eye in the end of that hook
Jeff, I found that magnifying glasses no longer helped and I was getting just too shaky. So I finally rigged up my own fly threader. Take one of the C&F Threaders (if you don't own one of their boxes, you can buy the threaders separately) and slowly drill a small hole through the dot and attach it to a zinger. I can't even express how much quicker I am now able to swap flies (especially the ones that I tie that end up with some amount of thread covering the eye...). If I can't run the tippet through a fly after a quick time or two I simply use the threader...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Oh man, I'm late!

Happy birthday, Troutslayer!! Hope you had a good one and many more to come, friend.

Pete, Got a neat tip from LRO when I bought a fly threader like in your picture. When you know you're going to fish small flies for the day, thread several on your fly threader before you leave the house and then just pull them off one at a time with your line as you need them. No field threading! Maybe I'm the only one who never thought of that - hope not.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 PM

I always wondered if those threaders worked. It seemed that the wire was so thin they would soon break. Guess I'll have to pick a couple up and give it a try.

So far with the magnifying glasses and holding the fly in the hemo's I haven't had too much trouble, but I can see that day coming.

#20 is about as small as I fish on any regular basis. I tried some 22's but not only were they a pain to tie on, I could only make a guess where the fly actually was on the water.

I can tie a 20 BWO and Griffith gnat (about any reasonable dry pattern) but I don't think I have the manual dextarity to tie anything much smaller.

I will give the threaders a try though.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM

Jeff, the Threaders are on the flimsy side, so you do have to be careful with them. Its best to hold them up around the tip when you are trying to thread the fly. That way you are less shaky and and also less likely to bend the wire.

Charlie, I think there are some instructions to that effect in the C&F box that I have, but I can't remember where I saw it. It is a great feature and a time/eye saver...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."