Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Smile

I never said people should not post fish pictures. I personally enjoy looking at other peoples pictures of fish they caught. ( like the happy young man in your photo. ) And I certainly don't hate the hardware guys. I've actually learned quite a few things from them over the years. I may have even thrown a Rapala or two. The Clinch, and in fact all Tennessee tailwaters, are public fisheries. As they should be. The one generator flow on the Clinch is ideal for catching the larger browns. When the water goes off, they become much more difficult to approach and the number of those fish caught will diminish. As for putting money in my pocket..well..if that were my prime motivation, I made a very bad career choice! One I have never regretted. Btw, Old School..point well taken. Although between trout and grouse..who has the time!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 PM

I thought more about this as the evening has waned.

Sure I have probably been partly to blame for some river exploitation through the years of guiding which I have done. However, the damage inflicted certainly does not even compare to what can be attributed to the internet swarms. Again, ask the Caney fork guys how well it worked out for them. The shocking data doesn't lie, if you don't believe them.

Same thing happened to the Cumberland in KY, swarms showed up from internet chatter.

I cringe everytime I see a river I love which was uncrowded mentioned on an internet forum.

Funny story, but the Holston existed for many for several years before 3/4 of the people who fish it now even knew there were trout in that river. Wonder how much different it might be if it weren't for the internet.

There are positives to the net, don't get me wrong, but there is an ugly side which has damaging results.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 AM

Default The fishing is great over here!

I recently landed this guy on the trophy section of a certain duck pond around Knoxville. He took a #16 goose turd emerger.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Along these same lines I cringe when I see some of the great trout streams and other areas being shown on television or you tube with these catches that they advertise as normal or the place to go for the fish of a lifetime. Then all of a sudden every one and there brother starts to visit that particular body of water thinking they are the next host of the century.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Default more $ for the area

I'm not going to go back through past posts and dredge up who said what. It just doesn't mean that much to me. But I distinctly remember one of the arguements for a slot limit on the Clinch was to increase its popularity and bring more money into the local economy. Looks like it has done just that. As for posting pictures, I don't think pictures of the trout I catch would make anyone want to even be in the same river as me. If you're proud of a fish you catch, slap it up here. I always like to look at other accomplishments, gives me hope that someday it might be me.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with buzzmcmanus, Just because a river has potential doesn't mean everyone is going to catch anything. Just look at all the people who wade where they should fish and vice versa. It's more to fishing than just showing up.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM

I used to wade where I should fish, but learned better (thank God for books by Krey et al)
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 PM

I prefer to slip into casting range of where I need to fish, and then pitch head first into where the fish are
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM

[I prefer to slip into casting range of where I need to fish, and then pitch head first into where the fish are]

Ha ha ha