Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Default Fran Betters

I came across this on another board about Fran Betters. I had the opportunity to meet him, and watch during a tying session a couple years ago. His Ausable Wulff is one of my favorite spring flies. I have several of his Ausable Wulff and Haystack ties from that session. He has been a real contributor to our sport giving a lot to it with out expectations of a large return, lets keep him in our prayers.http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=27142

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Unhappy

That is a real bummer. I have been there in his shop twice. Got the chance to sit and have lunch with him one day. He was more than happy to share information. Not the fanciest place in the world but one that I was comfortable in and one you knew had all kinds of neat stories to be told. I have read some of his books, worth the read. I thought his daughter was pretty much running the place, may be wrong on that. I remember my Dad talking about him when he was still alive. Just one of THOSE places that had that special lore to it.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM

I don't know the man or the shop. But, this is a story that breaks my heart and hits home as well. I looked at the price he is asking for his shop and property. Based on Townsend prices the whole package seems like a very low price to me. If you have ever wanted to get into this business, here is a chance to get in for $750,000 including the real estate which I think is a bargain based on what I saw online. If you need help from my experience just ask. Somebody needs to buy this and help him out while starting a new and exciting career. You will have to work hard and live on little but enjoy your life. Don't borrow a lot of money. Put some cash in to make it work or it will not.

Byron
Old 03-16-2009, 07:04 PM

This is really sad. I hate to see anyone down on their luck, especially older people. Hope someone comes along and it works out for both of them.

Last edited by flyman; 03-16-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Apparantly Fran passed on over a month ago.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...id/508504.html
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm sorry to read this. Since the first post on this topic I learned more about Fran. He was a legend in our culture. I hope the family found or finds a buyer for the shop and property. It would be a dream come true for someone.

Byron