Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Troutfest

Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM

I talked to James today. He is our rep for Scott Fly Rods, William Joseph, Cloudveil, Dr. Slick and other companies. He has been planning to come. He will donate $1,000 worth of merchandise including a Troutfest special edition Scott Fly Rod for our Auction and Banquet and get a large booth in the National Manufacturers tent. I asked him to bring spey rods and he will. He will be here for the banquet and the two day Exposition. You will like James.

Byron
Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Lightbulb Byron, Now that you mention it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
I bet the lady at the top of this page can cast a spey rod. Thanks for your great photos.
...What's the deal with that picture? Was she two handed casting downstream? I've wanted to ask for two years now, but no one else seems to think anything odd about the photo.

Is there a story in there somewhere?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews

She's swinging a soft hackle; I caught her lowering the rod after an across-and-down cast. It's a very good technique with a switch rod (which is what Lauren's using). For wider rivers (which this really wasn't - we were playing around with the tackle), what you might do is set up a 'cast' of two or even three wet flies (either leave a lot of tag left on each eye knot or tie clinch knots to the bends of hooks to attach each subsequent fly). Throw a split shot in there at the top of the system. Then cast across the river, using either an overhead cast or a spey cast, and slowly swing the entire system downstream. You'll slay them in a caddis hatch. This is basically traditional Atlantic salmon fishing modified for trout conditions.

Best,
Zach
Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Ken Henderson Custom Rods for Troutfest

I heard from Ken that he will build three rods for the event.
Rods are normally sage rods.
The winner of the drawing can pick anyone of the 3 rods.
Will have 3 different lengths, to appeal to more folks. In the past most rods have been 7'6" rods. Thi year he is going to make a 7'6", 8" and a 9' rod. Only one winner and can only pick one rod.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachMatthews View Post
She's swinging a soft hackle; I caught her lowering the rod after an across-and-down cast. It's a very good technique with a switch rod (which is what Lauren's using). For wider rivers (which this really wasn't - we were playing around with the tackle), what you might do is set up a 'cast' of two or even three wet flies (either leave a lot of tag left on each eye knot or tie clinch knots to the bends of hooks to attach each subsequent fly). Throw a split shot in there at the top of the system. Then cast across the river, using either an overhead cast or a spey cast, and slowly swing the entire system downstream. You'll slay them in a caddis hatch. This is basically traditional Atlantic salmon fishing modified for trout conditions.

Best,
Zach
That's interesting. I've fished a ten foot seven weight Winston BIIx for rainbow fishing for a couple of years, but not really as a spey rod. I added the eleven foot rod this winter. I want to learn some spey casts for that rod and use it to fish for coho in tight conditions.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 PM

I will have one or two spey rods on hand ;-) Zach has given me too much credit, I'm a hack at it, but should be able to practice and be able to get a 30' cast out by the time the fest rolls around. I'll have several lines from long bellies, Scandis, and skagit style heads to toss for those interested. I think Kent from TFO is bringing a few two handers as well.

As for swinging soft hackles, some guys are using 4wt speys over on the Caney some (from what I understand) to do just that. Pretty effective tool for swinging softies on the bigger tailwaters. Lots of line control.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM

James i'm glad you'll be arround to teach us!!!i'll be there on saturday and will look for you so we can arrange some time/place to gather. Please bring a variety of rods so we can see what we should buy.
Thanks
jose