Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Default New Wading Boots

Anyone have an opinion on a new pair of wading boots? I spend a lot of time hiking in mine, so I would like to get a light weight pair. I wonder if there are boots that feel like hiking boots rather than the stiff wading boot.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the rubber soled boots versus the felt soled boots?

Thanks for your help.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Chota Rockloc

Chris,

I fished using a pair of the new Chota Rock Loc wading boots the other night. This was my first real experience with rubber soled boots since the old Aquadeath models from years ago. I was really surprised out how well the new rubber soles worked. I did slip on some rocks....but even with felt in the same stretch of river I slip on some rocks. No matter where you are or what kind of boots you are wearing you always have to be careful when wading. One of the biggest advantages that I noticed about having the rubber soles is getting up and down the banks to the river. Outside the river rubber soles are a million times better than felt.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the new Simms Streamtread boots but they look really nice also.

All of the new rubber soled boots feel a bit heavier than their felt counterparts. The Rock Loc boots from Chota are nearly as comfortable as the STL and the Quicklace system is improved.

The rubber on all of these new boots is softer than a standard hiking boot tread so if you are going to hike in them a lot the sole will wear faster than your regular trail boots.

My best suggestion when buying any kind of boots is to try them (if you can) and see how they feel.

Daniel
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM

I have a pair of the Simms Streamtread boots. I really like them but I am new to fly fishing and can not compair them to felt. I can say that I have not been "baptized" yet and I can get out of the river much easier than my buddy with felt soles.

Rick
Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

I am curious to see what others will say to your question. I have rubber sole boots and am interested in getting a pair of felt. I also like to hike and would love a light weight pair. I will say the rubber are great getting to and from the river but once in, they are really slippery. I use the rubber because where I have mostly fished in Michigan it often snows during the steelhead runs and felt are pretty much worthless. But since I am getting in to fishing here in the south I would really like some felt soles.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Korkers!!

If you do a search on Korkers on this forum you will find several threads extolling the virtues of the Korkers wading boots. They have interchangeable soles that you can swap out from hiking soles to felts soles and back. I've fished a lot in them over the last year and the only "complaint" I have is that the felts wear out quicker than other boots, but because you can swap them out for a new pair, its not much of an inconvenience.

Last year my longest hike in them was around 17 miles and they did great. They are quite comfortable. They don't have half sizes so if you find them slightly oversized you can use a foam or gel insert to add to the comfort when hiking.

Check'em out

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Default Korkers - me too!

They are the only boots I have ever used and I love them. The ability to change from a hiking to a felt sole is great. I have worn them for 6 seasons and they are still going strong. I just got a pair of the Stealth soles with studs. I wore them the last 2 days when I was fishing for Steelies and they worked perfectly. Also, they are a fairly light boot.

http://www.korkers.com/

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-20-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: removed link
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Default Boots

Chris,
I wear Chota STL flet soled boots. Very comfortable and flexable from the start. The do absolutly great in the rivers and good on land. The only "traction" problem i have is on muddy soil, not much traction at all with the smooth bottoms. Chota now has the same boot with the rubber lug sole for a few more dollars. I also find them to be not much "heavier" than my pair of chuka hiking boots. They are reasonably priced and are worth every penny. Remember comfort is key. Just my 2cts. Hope this helps.

P.S. Check out the Chota line at the LRO Store web site they have the boots there, and free shipping!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Korkers?

I tried Korkers in the past and the problem I had was that the area that surrounds the removable sole is hard rubber and very slippery. When I go to stand on a rock and I only get a small portion of the boot on it, I slip. Does that make sense? Anyone else have this problem?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM

Chris, that was one of my concerns as well. I fished in a number of really "hairy" places last year and they performed well. In fact, the little bit of rubber may even help on some of the really precarious areas and larger boulders. I had much better footing with the Korkers in the WPLP Gorge than in my traditional felt bottom wading boots.

They have been better than my expectations. I have the Streamborn's and love them.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 AM

Pete,

Do you use the felt bottom or a rubber bottom?

- Henry David Thoreau