Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Question Holston Stocking

I fished the Holston yesterday for a few hours after work and noticed alot of tiny, tiny little trout. Honestly, these things were no more than 3" long and they were everywhere.

My question is, does TWRA stock the Holston with fingerlings that small? I always thought they stocked them a little bigger. Seems like the smallies and the bigger trout would gobble them up in a day or two.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM

In tailwaters like the holston and clinch they stock most of their trout as fingerlings. These trout have better color when they reach a reasonable length and weight. The tailwaters also stock 9 to 12 inch fish for meat fisherman which pretty much get pulled out of the river in the first week. The fingerlings are much smarter when they grow up than fresh stockers and also fight better because their fins aren't clipped.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM

I have fished the Holston at Naces Ferry approximately 15 times in the last year, heading there later today. I am interested that you caught fingerlings, so far I haven't caught one less than 7-8", and those have been on the small side. Were you fishing below the dam or Nances Ferry?

Neal
Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
I have fished the Holston at Naces Ferry approximately 15 times in the last year, heading there later today. I am interested that you caught fingerlings, so far I haven't caught one less than 7-8", and those have been on the small side. Were you fishing below the dam or Nances Ferry?

Neal
I have to agree with Neal. I fished the Holston yesterday and most fish were in the 10-12" range with a couple pushing 15". Didn't see any fingerlings, but saw lots of surface activity. Surprisingly, I even saw a few carp in the shallows tailing and jumping. I will have to try for them this year.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Default stocking of fingerling

I talk to twra a few weeks ago yes they stocked fingerling browns and rainbows . I have caught a few little browns . and a few real big bows in the last 3 days
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 AM

Hello Travis,

Did you fish at Nances Ferry yesterday or below the dam? I fished at Nances from around 1:00-3:30. Fished the first set of riffles since the other areas were full. I got skunked, had some hits on smaller flies, but none hooked. There was a lot of surface action, especially in the slower water, and many of these were smaller fish. Nice to hear that they are stocking some browns, I hope they thrive.

Neal
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hello Travis,

Did you fish at Nances Ferry yesterday or below the dam? I fished at Nances from around 1:00-3:30. Fished the first set of riffles since the other areas were full. I got skunked, had some hits on smaller flies, but none hooked. There was a lot of surface action, especially in the slower water, and many of these were smaller fish. Nice to hear that they are stocking some browns, I hope they thrive.

Neal
Neal,
I was at Nance's Ferry from 1:30 til 4:30. I never fish that first set of riffles since they get pounded. I walked upstream a few hundred yards to some deeper water. There were other guys fishing below me in some more riffles, but only one of them appeared to be having much luck. This time of year, I tend to stay away from the riffles. I just have more luck in the slower deep water. I found a couple of slow runs that were anywhere from 3' to 5' deep and bounced nymphs along the bottom. That is a technique I have so much confidence in from fishing it on the Clinch and SoHo.

Most fish were caught on a #20 stripper or a #18 BHPT. I had lots of fish come unbuttoned on me, so I checked my fly. Found that the hook had been nearly straightened.

FYI.....In another couple weeks when the caddis start coming off, you will find me fishing the riffles on the Holston though. I just don't waste my time with them during midge season

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the great information Travis, I like the area where you are talking about as well, I didn't head up there on Saturday since there was pretty much a full house in the spots I prefer and I don't like crowding other fishermen. Let me know if you would like to meet sometime on the Holston, I am only about 20 minutes away off Ailor Gap road and I would be interested in wetting a line with you sometime.

Neal
Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Neal

Neal,

I fear you underestimate my prowess...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Wink

Green Weenie,

I have learned not to underestimate any human being, kicks me in the backside every time I make that mistake, LOL. Like I said in an above post that after reading this thread I went to Nances Ferry and there were little trout splashing the surface feeding on midges and some larger ones as well. That was the first time I experienced that on the Holston. Maybe it will turn out to be good strategy, especially if they are stocking brown trout fingerlings. The river seems to be very fertile and capable of growing large trout if they can hang around for a few years. Seems like it is just starting to heat up there with warmer temps and a leaner generation schedule.

Have fun,

Neal