Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Brookies in the smokies????

Where would yall suggest fishing if i want to catch brook trout and how do i get there
Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Up in the high elevations is where you will find most of your brookies. Without telling you stream names, you can do a search on the board and find out where people catch them. There are streams that don't make you walk long distances to get to the brook trout. Take a look at any of the fishing books related to the smokies as well and they are full of info on where to go and how to get there.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Default Welcome....

....to the board Jamorga1. Your best bet for guaranteed brookies would be Road Prong or Sams Creek. Both are physically separated from rainbow populations and are pure brookie streams.

To get to Road Prong, go to Highway 441 that runs from Gatlinburg up over the mountains to North Carolina (Cherokee). After you pass the Sugarlands Visitor Center, you'll go a little over 7 miles to the Chimney Tops trailhead. Take the trail up to the fourth bridge (about 3/4 of a mile) and fish up from there.

To get to Sams Creek, go into the park through Townsend. When you get to the Y (3-way intersection above Townsend), turn right as though you were going to Cades Cove. Right after you turn right, take a left up towards the Tremont Institute. Go up to the end of the road (turns to gravel after the Institute) to a parking lot. Cross the foot bridge and you will see the Middle Prong Trail up to the left with signs to different destinations. Go right instead up the unmarked trail which is Defeat Ridge Trail. You'll continue up this trail, cross the stream (Thunderhead Prong) once on a metal footbridge and after about 15 minutes of walking the trail appears to end at the stream; but if you look across, you can see where it picks up again. Wade across the stream, go up the other bank and find the trail on other other side. After another 10-15 minutes, you'll run into Sams Creek on your left. This will be above the waterfalls that make up the natural barrier between rainbow and brookie waters.

Both of these are beautiful streams - can't go wrong with either choice. For best success, I'd wait another month or so till the water warms up in the higher elevations.

Hope this helps.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Sams Creek

I have fished Cosby and Road Prong for Brookies, but I haven't made it to Sams Creek as of yet. I can see from the map and from the above post that you have to hike to Sams Creek. What I can't tell from is what type of hike is this. If someone could provide me with the answers to these questions I would appreciate it.
1. What type of hike is this? (Novice hike, Medium Hike, Hard Climb)
2. How long is the hike and rough estimate on distance?
3. Would you describe Sams Creek more the size and openess of Cosby or Road Prong?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Default sams creek

i have fished this stream twice both times during the drought...so i can't say how it will look this year ..the hike is very easy...i belive total time it took to get to the stream was about a half hour...once you cross thunderhead prong the second time... you can find sams creek to your left after another 10 min or so of walking ... i caught a few fish but conditions were just about as bad as they could get very low and very clear...its nice area and like i said very easy to get to...good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up

My dad and I fished sams creek last june with Tim Doyle and we caught around 40 in a day, and the water level was perfect. If I were you I would definitely go to sams creek.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the information. Its always nice to half way understand what's ahead before you go out.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM

Brook Fan, you and I gotta put Sam's Creek on our list.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-07-2009 at 01:01 AM..
Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 AM

I concur
That's the problem with the GSMNP. So many places that need to be fished how do you prioritize where to go.

It's a good problem to have though.
Hopefully we will remove a stream never fished this weekend, which clears room to let Sams Creek in.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Default Fished Thunderhead today

So I tried to follow your directions for Sam's creek, and that trail did real well until I got to the part where it ends in the creek and you have to cross over. On any other day that wouldn't be an issue. Today it was. Water was WAYYYYY up on all the streams, so I went back to the bridge over Thunderhead and fished it up for a while. Caught 2 nice little bows. That is all I caught today due to the flood conditions. Nice little stream. I bet Sams creek is even better. Can't wait for the water to get back to normal, cause it looks like T-head would have lots of little pools and such to get in and out of!! Thanks for the directions you helped me add 2 new streams to my "gotta fish" list.
TODD