Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Backcountry stove?

Ok so i've had two JetBoils and both of them quit working on me, which i found out this weekend was a result of a problem that they had and all products were recalled. Anyways, after the experience of getting caught out without a stove i'm burnt out on the JetBoil brand and was looking at getting the MSR Whisperlite, anyone had any experience with it? It's gotten great reviews and i just need something reliable. The pocket rocket from MSR was my first choice but i like how the whisperlite has a low center of gravity and looks like it would be more stable.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Not all the jetboils were recalled, only the products from a certain production run. Their website gives details on how to tell if your stove has a "B style gas valve".

I use a snowpeak gigapower stove and don't have any complaints.

If you are looking for something to simmer food for long periods of time, or fry fish, you might want to look at a white gas stove.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM

I have the same model SnowPeak mentioned by Grannyknot. I have used it for about 2 years now and have not had any issues. If I lost mine I would replace it with the samething.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:10 AM

I have the Snow Peak Gigapower and have used it for backpacking 40 days per year for the past four years. It works great in temps above 20* after that all canister stoves loose their efficiency and although with a few tricks can still be used, white gas is a better choice for winter. I have the auto-ignighter and although mine has worked flawlessly, I have heard of people having problems with them, perhaps they had a bad prodiction run at some point.

People also like the MSR Pocket Rocket, but I like the pot supports better on the Snow Peak.

As for a pot to go with it, I have the Snow Peak 700ml Titainium mug that works well, but you could also go with a cheap aluminum pot from antigravity gear, or a nice 640ml kettle from evernew.

I also have a like new Coleman Exponent Apex II white gas stove similar to the Whisper Lite I will sell for $40 if you are interested. It is like new and tough as nails, I just never find myself needing a white gas stove as the Gigapower always does what I need it to do (I usually just boil water). Pics can be found here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=19070
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 PM

I haven't heard of too many people using snowpeak's stuff but i have looked at it. It looks like some pretty good stuff. Can you fit your stove into the trek 700 mug? That would be a big plus.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
Can you fit your stove into the trek 700 mug? That would be a big plus.
I can fit my stove and a small fuel cannister into my trek 900 cookset.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM

I've had nothing but problems with the gigapower stove, I've had the handle break off, i broke two of the three prongs that the pan sits on. kind of small annoyances, but both times that it broke, I was in the backcountry out west during no fire season, and had to cut the trip short a few days.

So this winter I bought a whisper lite and it looks to be the best stove I've owned. Mind you I'm pretty tough and clumsy with my gear, so if it can make it through the summer without breaking, I will think MSR has done their job.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Yes it will nest both the stove and a 4oz fuel canister in the Snow Peak 700 Mug and will even fit in the 600ml mug (which doesn't come with a lid), or the Evernew Ultra lite deep 640ml pot. You can also fit another canister on top of the lid in the mesh bag, but that would only be needed on a really long trip. I can usually get at least 10 days out of a 4oz canister.

Although you can use Snow Peak, Jet Boil, MSR, Coleman, etc... canisters with the stove, only the smaller footprint Snow Peak and Jet Boil ($$) canisters fit into the pot. If you plan to use the larger base 4oz canisters like MSR (or 8oz canisters), then you might want to look at the MSR Titan Kettle for a cookpot as it fits the MSR canisters and the stove nicely. It also has a very tight fitting lid (which some people like and some don't).

I do a lot of backpacking and have seen hundreds of people with the Snow Peak stove and have never heard any complaints except the Auto Ignigter, which a few people have had break (it is removable with a small phillips head screw, and you can buy a new one for $10) By far the two most popular stoves on the trail are the Snow Peak Gigapower and the MSR Pocket Rocket. They are both very proven stoves. Although many AT Thru-Hikers use alcohol stoves, the most popular cansiter stove models (in fact about the only two you see any thru hiker carrying) are the Gigapower and Pocket Rocket. You will not be disapointed with it unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the woods below 20*.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM

I've had an MSR Whisperlite for a while and have never had a problem. Just clean it and it will work fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Can't go wrong

with an MSR. I started with the old XGK way back in the late '70s. Then I went to the Whisperlite and last summer I got a Pocket Rocket. The only negative thing with it is stability. It has been on two different two-night trips and used one fuel canister for both trips. I love it.
Mike