Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM

I've had a Whisperlite for approximately 10 years. If I lost it today I'd buy another one tomorrow. No problems whatsoever. Biggest drawback is it's difficult to get it to simmer - you have to back off on the pressure a little.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM

A homemade catfood alcohol stove, 4 oz Alcohol and windscreen will all fit inside a Trek 900 with room to spare, 4 oz is plenty for an overnight trip and an additional 8 oz stretches that to 3 days. With a simmer ring, you can do a fair job on frying fish. But for stright-up water boiling for speed, the gigapower does a good job.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Default svea 123

Don't know if you've found your stove yet, but here's my take...

I have had experience with 3 great stoves. The svea123/optimus climber, the wisperlite and the snowpeak. They're all awesome, really.

I've really enjoyed having the snowpeak. It's so simple to fire up, and it packs some serious heat. I haven't had it long, but I love it. Nothing's better for a quick cup of coffee. Setup is so fast.

I've never owned a wisperlite, but I ate a month's worth of meals (literally) with a couple of guys that used them one or two times a day for said meals. They were durable and powerful. My only beef with that one is the way it stores, or doesn't. It's a petty beef, but I don't like the hoses/tubes that hang out when you remove the fuel can.

On that same trip, Summer '88, I used a svea 123, and one of the other guys had the optimus climber. Same stove, essentially. My svea 123 belonged to my dad. I think he bought it back in the early 70's, and he used it ALL over the Smokies. My trip with this same stove was across the country. I've had it on LOTS of other trips since then. Simply put, the thing will not die, not that I want it to. I don't think they still make these, but you can still get them. They've got kind of a cult following. They absolutely rock. Frankly, I had no reason to buy the snowpeak, other than that I thought they were cool, and I liked how quickly they could be ignited. That leads me to my only beef with the svea/optimus...setup. They can be a pain to prime. Don't get me wrong; it WILL LIGHT EVERY TIME. And the fireball approach to priming can be fun. It's a ritual of sorts. Plus the F-14esque roar the thing puts out is like a song that has fond memories attached. It's just plain cool. The other cool thing is the fact that you can burn coleman fuel or even unleaded if you're in a pinch (though I've never tried it...not really sure about that.) You can read about them here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123 . I can't recommend that one too strongly. It's a classic, and it works. I don't know anyone that owns one that doesn't take a reverent tone when they talk about their stove. It's almost wierd.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM

My dad and I have the MSR pocket rocket and we have no complaints. It is small, compact, and lightweight which is great. I'm sure though that any of the MSR products would work great for you.

Fly fisherman DK
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 PM

I also use the gigapower. Used it in yellowstone for a week, smnp, day hikes, not a single complaint. Guess you will have to just pick one, because I have heard many good things about the pocketrocket, as many people have said here. I have actually considered getting the whisperlite, since I have only heard good things about it.
I like the gsi cooksystems. I usually backpack with my wife, so I have to consider two people. The gsi dualist will hold my stove, and fuel easily. I also use the gsi bugaboo backpacker for longer trips. It is essentially the same as the dualist, but with a fry pan. Both of those sets work great with the gigapower, but they may be a bit to much to carry for one person, especially if your a minimalist. Good luck with your decision, don't think you could go wrong either way, but I vote for the gigapower.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 AM

It really depends on what you want it for and how far you are going and wait carried, but to me Whisperlite = heavy. I carry between 18-26 pounds depending on the season and usually go between 15-20 miles per day.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Looks like it's pretty much a toss up between the snowpeak and msr. I don't really know which one to pick, both look good with the gigapower being a little lighter. Glad to see there are no real complaints with either one.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM

I have owned a Whisperlite International for about 15 years. It is a multi-fuel stove with the shakerjet. It has been great. Never a single problem from it. I would highly recommend it if it fits the type of stove you are looking for. As stated above, simmering is kind of tricky on the Whisperlites.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I use an Esbit stove. So far no problems with the auto igniter at all since it's a match lol. Can't really simmer with it but if you just boil water it is great. Smaller than a deck of cards and lighter including fuel tabs than just about anything else. Very reliable too I can also use the fuel tabs as fire starters if needed.