Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Anyone ever use the Sierra Zip Stove? That's what I've been using for years. It's a little heavier than the typical backpacking stoves, but I like not buying and carrying fuel. It boils water very quickly, which is usually all I do in the backcountry: coffee, tea, freeze-dried meals, noodles, etc. In the Smokies there's no shortage of small twigs to feed it, but you might run into trouble if you often backpack in deserts or above treeline out West.

Nathan
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM

I'm kinda partial to my 6 ounce cook kit. It burns denatured alcohol. The homemade windscreen, stove, base and pot holder nest inside the titanium pot. Perfect when weight is a consideration and all you need to do is boil water for freeze-dried meals and coffee.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM

Drifter,

That's about the fanciest alcohol stove I've seen. Here's the one I use. It's nothing but an empty cat food tin.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 03-31-2009 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 PM

I use the denatured alcohol stove also. I made two; a cat can stove like Buzz and a Coke Can stove. For .98 cents you can use a bottle of HEET from an auto parts store or big box retail store. Make sure you use the yellow bottle not the red. It is 12 oz. and I usually use 2 oz per pot of water, so I count on the HEET container to boil water 6 times.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Default BP Stove

I have an old GAZ. Never had any problems with it, but am not crazy about the cannisters. Not sure whether they even make the brand anymore. The stove I would like to have is the primus, it was a backpacker magazine editor's choice when it came out, very stable, runs on multiple fuels, just don't get into the backcountry enough in the last 10 years, or I would buy one. I have buddies who swear by the whisperlite too.
Best,
John
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM

I use the snowpeak gigapower as well. Love that thing. zero to blaze in 1 second.

Also has good flame control if you want to simmer. Superlight, supereasy, supergood.