Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Default wading rain jacket recommedations

Time to buy a new rain jacket. The old one has finally bit the dust, zippers won't stay together and seam sealing problems.
Looking for a recommendation on a lightweight packable jacket (shell type) Something I can pack really small and use over a fleece jacket in the winter.
Anyone have the William Joseph Tech rain jacket? Good quality construction, zippers hold up, waterproof seams over time?
Any other suggestions?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

TM, I have the Simms gore-tex. It has the self-sealing zippers and the abundance of pockets. It's also roomy enough in the shoulders and arm pits to wear over a fleece.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM

I also have the simms model that is a couple years old and it has worked really well for me and withstood many downpours and high winds. I don't have any complaints and would go with another simms if i had a choice, probably no more expensive than the william joseph either (seems like everything is high priced nowadays).
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM

Another vote for the Simms Gore-Tex and it's made in Bozeman, Montana. Tight Lines. TDS
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Default wading jacket

Troutman, I bought a Patagonia SST. After 12 years it started leaking. Byron said to return it to Patagonia. I was thinking they might refinish it. Instead they sent me a new model SST. Great company. However, it is pricey and too bulky to pack in a vest. At 57 I doubt that I need a jacket that will last 15 years. Do like to think I'll still be wading at 72. I also have a Carhart softshell with a hood. Keeps out most rain and is bushwacker tough. It is fleece lined so it is too warm for spring.
Sure Knots, Monk
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Like Monk, i returned my SST after years of use, the back/shoulders had faded to tan from all the years of use, couple weeks & i to am enjoying my newer, improved SST.

Grumpy
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks, I'm gonna have to save awhile longer for the Simms Goretex or the Pat. SST. I've worn simms waders for a long time and bought a really nice Pat. vest last year. Both companies make excellent products.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM

I have a jacket from a big chain store that I bought for about $20 that I wear every where when it's raining and it works great. Not great for the Summer because it doesn't breath so well, but I love it any way. Of course, that may not be for you, but I have short arms and deep pockets.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I have the William Joseph Tech rain jacket and love it. Packs up extremely small, has it's own waterproof bag, and has waterproof pockets for your stuff. I'm very pleased with the jacket the pockets are waterproof but not that big so you still need your vest or pack unless you don't bring a lot of stuff or a big fly box.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM

I have a Cloudveil Crystal Creek Jacket and love it. It's been a solid performer for quite a while. I was torn between it and the Patagonia SST... Finally went with the Crystal Creek 'cause it was packable and about a hundred bucks cheaper.... Lots of good features though.