Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Default A little time on the SoHo

Seems like I have not been able to fish as much this year. But I have finally gotten out a little more over the last couple of weeks.
Those guys that fish the mountains are used to fishing from out of the water. But it seems that most tailwater anglers just jump in and start casting. I have recently been reminded that it pays to look before you step in. I approached the river very slowly the other day and spotted a brown settling into his feeding lane - rewarded with this

doesn't look like much in the net, but he was about 14"
swimming away to fight another day

I spent some time walking the bank trying to photograph fish, but these fish hold close to the bank in some really shallow water and I had more luck casting to them than I did photographing them.
Anyway, caught this colorful brown on another trip the end of March

This fish was so colorful that when it first turned on the hook set I thought it might be a rainbow... check out the back half

I hooked 2 more nice fish in this same spot, lost them both, 1 was really nice, he jumped a couple of time and was a really heavy fish. I really wanted to land them to see if the colors were similiar since they came from the same area. I was playing the fish pretty carefully, they were on a dropper fished on 8X tippet under a BWO.
I had recently cut off the factory welded loop on my fly line because the line was cracked behind it. I replaced it with some stiff amnesia and the blood knot was getting hung up in the line guides big time. I guess I am going to have to do some sort of glue-in or something, know matter how good a knot it may appear to be I still can't get one to go smoothly through the guides. I am fishing long leaders and have to reel the fly line all the way in passed the stripping guide to be able to reach the fish.
Always find some of these when we get back to the truck

Looking forward to April.

Mike

Last edited by MtnMike; 04-02-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Nice pics & post Mike. I usually fish the Caney. Never have fished the SoHo but its interesting to hear how you guys fish it. Over here we generally have to get small on the tippet size but 8X ...Wow that's small. I was curious as to what type of mayfly that was in your picture.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Default SoHo

Mike, Nice SoHo fish. Plan to be fishing there in about two weeks. As for the fly line/leader connection, I've gone to a whipped loop. It holds well and glides nicely thru the guides. I saw the connection reading Lefty Kreh
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
Nice pics & post Mike. I usually fish the Caney. Never have fished the SoHo but its interesting to hear how you guys fish it. Over here we generally have to get small on the tippet size but 8X ...Wow that's small. I was curious as to what type of mayfly that was in your picture.
Well, let me try. It looks a lot like a Hendrickson Dun but the problem is that this specimen only have two tails, Hendrickson calls for three and so does Sulphur and Little Sulphur.

If we knew for sure the size of the insect and the fact that it has it's tail intact we could determine better. BWO would have two tails but the eyes look like Hendrickson. I would say Hendrickson if it is a size 14 or so. BWO if it's an 18.

MIKE HELP
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM

MtnMike,
i'm going to try and spend a few days on the SoHo the second week of April. What can I expect in the way of hatches ? As always, I'm sure it will depend on how our weather is doing.

thanks,
mstone
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm no entemologist (I can't even spell it), but I would say that is a size 20 BWO. My buddy has a retractable hard cover over the bed of his pickup truck and there are always several mayflies on the cover when we get back to the truck.
As for the 8X, that was more of an experiment than anything. I usually use 6X, but have found that some days require 7X, just playing around with the 8X. The one fish that I had on and lost was a very good fish. I didn't break him, the hook just pulled out.
As far as hatches go, you can always expect midges (I hate 'em), look for some BWO's and if it is sunny you might see some sulfurs. I would hate to be on the South Holston without sulfurs any day of the year, just in case.

Monktrout, I will check into the whipped loop.

Mike
Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Awsome report,,,,gonna try and go Sunday.....

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Default soho

I was on the river all day saturday, release lasted til 10 a.m. got in the water at 11 and hooked up my first at 11:05. I caught fish consistently til 4 p.m. on a #20 b.w.o. c.d.c. with a stripper midge dropper on 7X. usually got fish on the dropper but some on the dry. the stripper was a #24 scud hook with a black bead, olive with black edge herl from the center portion of the peacock feather wrapped around the shank. I found this midge and it worked more productively saturday than the others.