Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Scientific Anglers fly box opinions

Anyone tried one of these boxes yet? How does it compare to a C&F as far as fly holding ability and usefullness? Thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM

My father has several, I'm sure he'll chime in soon. I like these boxes with the exception that they are not waterproof! I don't care for vests and wear a phanny pack which has a tendancy to get wet. I also have a bad habit of not taking things out of the pack and letting them dry out! Hence, ruined flies/hooks!

The card system is pretty darn sweet! You can get two boxes and several cards. Have two cards for smoky dries and nymphs and two cards for tailwater drys and nymphs! It's a pretty good idea! CF makes something very similar, I just wish they had double sided card inserts!

~Brett
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

They are not waterproof? Its advertised as so. Maybe you got a defective one. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM

mine's waterproof. I couldn't really see it not be seeing how the card is lined with a stiff rubber gasket. Mine closes tightly and used to be kinda difficult to open because it closed so tight. Its not bad now, but still closes securely. I think I have the nymph one, but I'm not real sure. It was a gift. Its orange, and seems to be set up for nymphs more than anything. I also like the card method. You can switch them out easily and buy cards set up for nymphs, dries, or streamers. They also have a hole in the corner for hanging the cards up when not in use. Occasionally, flies do come out of their spots. Its a good box though, and affordable.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Its waterproof , believe me. I'm a professional at testing out waterproof things
Old 04-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Default New SA boxes

I just saw the new ones a few days ago, and the slits look to be a big improvement. Assume the new leaves will fit the old boxes?

sb
Old 04-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Yeah, they're definitely waterproof. And the slit foam cards are an improvement over the older, non-slit cards. I'm in the process of transferring all of my flies over to the SA boxes from the small CF boxes. Right now they're divided by fly type rather than stream locale, but I'm sure that will change.

I've even added the SA card storage suitcase to the mix. It securely holds 4 cards in one magnetic closure foam box -- now, that one is not waterproof, but it is great for toting all your flies around in a gear bag or just tossing in your truck. The only drawback to the storage box is that the metal rods that you attach your cards to are not securely attached to the foam box so I would highly recommend hitting each rod attachment point with zap-a-gap before using it the first time.

It's a very versatile system. I especially like the fact that you can tell at a glance what's in the box. I use to try and cram all my flies into two old CF boxes and I had to mark the outside of one box to indicate that it was a nymph/wet box. Invariably, I'd end up knee-deep in the water only to discover that I had grabbed the wrong box.

Waterproof, durable, lightweight, visible, interchangeable... yeah, I'd recommend them.

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck