Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Default Flies???

I am an absolute beginner at fly fishing and am wondering what are the basic flies to buy and use. I fish the Holston and was there the other day. The guy near me was slaying the trout on nymphs. That's all I could get out of him. All i had were dry flies so I only got one bite. Any help would be very helpful. I plan on stocking my flybox pretty soon, but just don't really have a clue!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Search on the Forum

Grizz, the forum has search capabilities so you can always checkout past threads for some great info. I did a search on "Tailwater Flies" and found this recent thread, that may answer lots of your questions:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ailwater+flies

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Alright man, first of all zebra midge's get to know em love em, black, red, grewn, tan, and any other color you like, they may like em too. Bead Head Pheasant tails good stuff. I fished the holston today and killed em on a tan, black and brown wooley bugger. Not sure if you tie but the zebra midges are soo easy to tie up so that might be a good start, I would suggest size 18, 20 and 22 when the water is a low bigger bugs when it is runnin. Lot of it is trial and error on the stream to see what color they are hitting and then just freakin slay em! If you wanna know a bit more email me

bmurphy055@gmail.com

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
I am an absolute beginner at fly fishing and am wondering what are the basic flies to buy and use. I fish the Holston and was there the other day. The guy near me was slaying the trout on nymphs. That's all I could get out of him. All i had were dry flies so I only got one bite. Any help would be very helpful. I plan on stocking my flybox pretty soon, but just don't really have a clue!

Here's a copy of a South Holston River hatch chart:

January

Hatches

Fly Patterns

Time

Grey Midge

All Month

February

#18-22
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM

I would pick a couple of dries that work most or all of the year and use them as indicators (like a bobber) and drop a midge off of that. You should get a lot of strikes on the midge and a few on the dry. Also, learn how to do an across stream drift and mend. It's much more succesful than casting straight upstream. Here's a picture:

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 04-11-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Is the Holston River below Cherokee Dam also referred to as the south holston river And if it is not does this hatch chart match good enough
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM

A good series of fly lessons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Sgc...x=0&playnext=1

If you can, stop by LRO and get a few lessons in person, if they have a casting class. You just can learn some of this stuff from videos. Also, take an entomology class from them. It's important to learn about what the trout are feeding on, when and why.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Here's how to rig a dropper...as you can see, the midge (or in this case, the soft hackle) is tied off the bend of the hook on the dry:

Closed Thread