Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM

I dont know what it is about those trout magnets.....you could spook the #$%!!! out of a trout and he would still eat it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Have the rod and reel already and the trout magnets. I just picked up a couple of Panther Martins. My plan is to take off those hooks and put a single hook on with a little old split ring.

Does that sound like the right way to put the hook on

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

When you put the mosquito hook on be sure it's gape is large enough to hook fish. I make my wife's lures so I can get a minimal size body with a max, weight to keep it down deep. One flaw I find in roostertails is they seem to rise to the top of the water column very quickly with a tighten line.

Remember to have fun, relax and enjoy your time with him. If he's young keep the fustration level as low as possible. Let him decide when to try flyfishing, keep it fun and you'll have a partner for life.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff
Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Talking

Thanks Randall,

This boy really does love to fish. We started bank fishing when he was 4 and he would fish for hours without a complaint.

We may have to use his little brother for bait.

Thanks for the information.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Just curious which sized hook you put on the spinneres for a replacement?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM

I use a #6 hook. I picked up some short shanked "live bait" hooks that look like they will work also. My wife says flyfishing is "too much work" and likes to spin fish. She complained of having a hard time releasing fish with trebles and having some with mouths injuried. I've pinched the barb down to facilitate an easy release. (She puts a lot of flyfishermen to shame with the TLC she uses releasing fish.) I don't feel the single hook or being barbless has resulted in less fish caught. She has outfished me several times in the high mountain lakes in the Beartooth Mt.s of Wyo/Mont where there is no current to help with the strike.

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?---Lee Wulff
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks.I guess I fall into the "I just love to catch fish" catagory. I like to able to fish with anything from a cane pole to a 4# to a surf rod. I am looking forward to my trip to the park in June. I have fished in a lot of places but never there. From the looks of all the reports the water should be great!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 AM

We are set. Made 2 lures out of panther martin spinners and found single hook spinners and have a couple of those.

Now come on fish.