Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 PM

Default Rattler question

Has anybody seen rattlers yet? Still seems a bit early, but one never knows. I have a strange fascination with them. absolutely love them. Saw 4 last year. Can take anyone to the exact spot, almost. just wondering.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Wink

Your name befits you ;-). I think they are unique but the more distance between them and me is my comfort zone.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM

I only kid by saying this, but I see where you got your board name! LMAO! I don't mind them and actually like seeing them, but I keep my distance.

~Brett
Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 PM

I don't like snakes, any snakes. Gives me chills just thinking about them.
My only snake encounter in the park was last summer at Metcalf. Was walking down a path toward the water and there he was, right in the middle of the path. Don't know if he even saw me because I was gone back to the car and off to another fishing spot. Didn't ask him what species he was.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
I don't like snakes, any snakes. Gives me chills just thinking about them.
My only snake encounter in the park was last summer at Metcalf. Was walking down a path toward the water and there he was, right in the middle of the path. Don't know if he even saw me because I was gone back to the car and off to another fishing spot. Didn't ask him what species he was.

I had the stuff scared out of me fishing in the Cranberry backcountry in WV. I was rock hopping (boulder hopping it seemed) and heard rattling and couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I turned around real slow and ran and jumped so fast I almost fell down the rocks to the water. I was SO scared.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Snakes and fishing tend to go hand in hand (hopefully not literally, though). I always consider the day extra good with fish and a shnake. garter snakes and caddis flies are out along the river in sevierville. I picked up a garter the other day and it gave me a present: a fresh frog. gotta love the serpent's defensive tactics.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 AM

I've seen three small water snakes this year fishing the same stream. two of which fell out of a tree. just something else to think about while climbing through the rhodie.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Out but not moving much

They are out I am sure, but you would have to stumble on one right now to see him. They are going to be very sluggish due to the cool temps we are having. The large amount of rain will also limit the amount of distance they will have to travel for water. I wouldnt spend too much time trying to find one until after the 4th of July. They will be much more active then. Believe me as a Forester, I see more than I care too.

Remember......I'm and idiot
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM

It's strange I count myself very luck because all my time in the park and I have never come across one, although I am sure they were there, bears elk, deer, racoons, boars, beavers, otters, tubers, but no snakes. Course I kinda avoid big creek in the summer cuz I have heard it's really snaky? I do not like snakes so i'll stop talkin before I jink myself!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Snake in house

Wife and dog found a snake in the front foyer this weekend. Not a rattler but she hates snakes almost as much as I do. It came up from the ground through the space around the radiator pipe. Spent saterday sealing spaces aorund radiator pipes. Looks like it might have been a good day to fish but I wasn't so lucky -there is a radiator in each room of my house.