Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM

I may have sounded harsh, although I don't think so. I didn't say don't help people get involved in the sport, I merely suggested limiting to basics. I always offer the basics to anybody, I just don't say fish in this spot and use this fly at this depth.
Hey , for what it's worth, I enjoy seeing a new person get involved. I do think a large investment of time , and also an investment of money is required.
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Wonder why most people think fly-fishermen are snobs!?!

grizzly,
If I knew anything about the river in question, I'd tell you whatever you wanted to know. But, I have a hard time driving past all the good fishing here to get there. Don't let the actions and words of a few deter you. There truly are some helpful ones out there.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Grizz, build a selection of copper johns, zebra midges, prince nymph and the standby is the tellico nymph. I will also use a Krauss nymph pattern I picked up out West.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM

I really didn't mean to open up this can of worms, and I appreciate all the help. I wasn't expecting you all to give me your "honey holes" just needed a little bit of info to get started. Special thanks Carolinaboy, ChemEangler, and kytroutman. Determining what kind of flies you need is so overwhelming when you get started. I needed somebody to focus me in and you all have helped me tremendously with that! My wife always asks me if I caught anything and I always respond, because I don't have the right fly, hopefully now I can't say that!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 PM

wow , sunshine and lollipops.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Wow,

You folks are snapping at each other like it's the dead of winter and we're all stuck in the house.

Put down the mouse,

Kiss your spouse,

Load the truck,

go fishing,

and be happy!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM

[ a Krauss nymph pattern I picked up out West.[/quote]

Kytroutman, I tried googling this but came up dry. What's a Krauss nymph?

sb
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 AM

It's a stone nymph pattern, often called a K nymph. I picked the fly/pattern up from someone who lives on the Big Horn in MT. He called it a Krauss nymph (probably named for a local). There is also a Kauffman's stonefly nymph that looks similar. The preferred colors are black, brown, golden and olive.

Last edited by kytroutman; 04-14-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 AM

Your welcome Grizz, some people in fishing get all secretive? The thing with fishing is in a lot of cases you have to be "right" with a variety of variables, pattern, depth, presentation and so on. Sometime it's easy sometimes not, but I don't have a problem giving advice especially someone new to the game, it can be overwhelming at first, years ago i used to say flyfishing was the most tangley sport in the world. I learned how to flyfish in the park before learning about tailwaters. The greatest thing for me about our wonderful sport is that you learn something every time you go out, and if you don't you probably aren't paying enough attention. That's why I love it, If you really want to find success with this there is no room for the troubles of the day when your out there worriying about, flies, wind, casting angles, was that a riser over there?, what kinga bug is that flying around? Can I make the perfect cast?................Good Luck!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

It's time for this thread to cool off a bit. I'm locking it.

I'd like for all of you to take a look at the theme of this board.

"Information, Fly Fishing and Friendship"

Paula
Closed Thread