Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Little River 4/4 - 4/5

My two sons (22, 16) decided that we would do some backpacking in 2009. We spent the winter gathering gear and researching future adventures. Somewhere along the way we stumbled upon this website and found a treasure trove of information. It also sparked the idea of combining fly fishing with backpacking.

We have caught our share of stocked trout on spinning gear but had never really tried fly fishing. A few years ago on a previous trip to the Smokys we brought along our spinning gear and were soundly skunked. Armed with some new found information - mostly from the trip reports and tips from many who post on LRO message boards - we planned our first trip to campsite 24 on Little River on 4/4 and 4/5.

My youngest son could not make the trip as he had something a little more important planned for 4/4 - his college ACT test. My oldest son (TJ) and his college buddy (Ryan) and I left the Cincinnati area on Saturday morning timing our trip to arrive at Little River Outfitters just as they opened. After a quick stop for license, a few tips, and of course some flies, we were off to begin our adventure. I can't say enough good things about the folks at LRO. What a first class operation. By the way Byron, one of your fishing reports said Saturday was your best sales day of the year. We did our part to help in that regard - and it was well worth it!

After arriving at the LR trailhead we donned our gear and hit the trail. One hour and fifteen minutes later (we were rather excited to get there) we arrived at campsite 24. After quickly setting up camp and hanging our packs we were off to try our hand at fly fishing for wild trout.

The boys were soundly skunked on day 1 but I managed to bring 4 rainbows and one brown to hand. Two were in the 9" range and the rest were small but fun.

On day two we decided to move down to Fish Camp Prong and fish our way up. Our biggest mistake was not leaving ourselves enough time. We had agreed to meet up with the rest of the family who were joining us for a week a vacation so we had to pack up and head out around noon.

The boys managed 4 fish each - all on drys and I managed another 3 fish on BHPT's. The bugs were really just starting to get going good when we left. The highlight of the trip was an 11" brown caught by Ryan. The pictures are on his camera so I will try to post after we get back home next week.

This was a really great trip. Thank you to all of you who post your trip reports, tips and advice as this was a huge help to this group of novice fly fishermen. Thank you to Byron, Paula and the entire staff of LRO for running a first class operation. We will be back!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Welcome to the board!

Craig,

Great report. Glad you guys had a good time in our mountians.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Craig...so happy you had a good trip! Thanks so much for the kind words about LRO! We would be nothing without our customers and friends.

Paula