Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Question regarding Yellow Creek, Big Creek Tributary

I was curious where Yellow Creek begins and ends. I have an old Trails Illustrated map (my favorite map of the Smokies and much preferred to the National Geographic version) and it indicates that Yellow Creek begins somewhere below Mount Guyot and ends at Gunter Fork to form Big Creek. However, in my reading of the area, other sources indicate that Big Creek continues upstream of Gunter Fork. Those sources would lead me to believe that Yellow Creek ends and enters Big Creek approximately where Camel Gap Trail leaves the Creek and heads up the Mountain.

Does anyone have an answer? Also, does anyone know where Deer Creek enters Big Creek? Any information will be much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM

From the map i have, and from what i gather, yellow creek dumps into big creek above gunter fork. If you are thinking about going up there sometime, i have been wanting to go up there as well, maybe we can plan a trip?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks so much for the information. A old friend is going with me on this trip supposedly, but if he can't go, I would like for us to discuss a possible trip plan. I should know something in the next week or so. I have been advised that no one should venture in that area alone.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

I have been advised that no one should venture in that area alone

you got that right.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM

When are you planning to do the trip? I am booked pretty solid in the immediate future, but sometime from late june on i should be good to go. That would be prime time to go up there since it's pretty high up.

I have been very interested in yellow creek after doing some research on it. After reading the very brief description in kirk's book on it i did some digging and found some very good information on it through some people. Let me know.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Tentatively, looking at June 19-21 or June 26-28. I am thinking early summer should be good and I like the idea of approximately 15 hours of daylight. I will let you know.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM

On my map it shows that deer creek flows into big creek about a mile to a mile and a half ahead of where yellow creek meets big creek. Also, if you want to get to deer creek the only problem is going to be having to instream wade all the way there. I hope this info is useful on your fishing trip.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Speaking of maps, I'm not in love with the National Geographic map. I much prefer the Earthwalk Press map, also 1:62500 and waterproof. It's a bit more stylized, easier to read, and the contours and elevations are in feet:

http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/cats/earthwal.htm

That upper end of Big Creek looks incredibly remote, also trail-less, as pointed out above.

--Rich
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks so much for the information, Daniel. That pretty much confirms my thoughts.

Rich, I will check out the map by Earthwallk. It looks like a map that I need to add to my collection. Thanks for the information.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM

From what i have been told, deer creek is very small compared to yellow creek. I have heard that deer creek is wadeable for a while but gets extremely rough not far up from where it runs into yellow creek.

If you happen to need someone to go with or want to have some more company, my camping partner and i are talking about making a trip up there around the same time. Let me know.