Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

i think it's a big coyote....but to thwart them, plant dog-hobble (grin)
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Red Wolf

I saw a red wolf out side the park about 4 years ago. My wife and I were heading to Townsend from Pigeon Forge. On the way we saw a sign for Brothers Cove resort and decided to check it out. It was a bit off the beaten track but we finally reached it. We talked to a guy who seemed to be the caretaker and he informed us that if we continued on the road past the resort we would eventually end up near Townsend. We proceeded and the road soon narrowed to almost what seemed less then one lane. We came to section that ran through a densely wooded hollow with think underbrush. The road straitened out and we could see ahead about 75 yards. There he/she stood looking at us for a couple of seconds and then disappeared into the brush. When we got up to where the wolf entered the woods we got out to look around. I found tracks that confirmed that it wasn't a coyote, if it was, it was the biggest Ive ever seen, with a track that covered 4" wide. We shoot a lot of coyotes on our farm and have never seen one with that wide of a track. Later that afternoon we were fishing up Treemont and a park officer stopped to check our license. I told him about our encounter and he told us there were still a very few surviving from the few successful litters that they did have. My wife described the coloration and posturing of the animal to the Ranger who agreed that it was most probably a Red Wolf. Again this was 4 years ago.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Deer was no fawn, and likely a coy-dog with some large breed; at one point in the video, tail looked curled like a retriever. I would guess yellow lab or light golden for the dog. Coyotes will hunt in packs if food is scarce, but not unusual for family to hunt together or for large males or females to hunt alone. **** things are everywhere. Central KY over-run. Too much food. I grew up in NM in '60's, and they were classified as varmints with neither license nor limits imposed. But those animals were very wary, and had to use flat shooting speedster loads to get them after calling in with distress calls. The ones around here are bold as brass, not slinky at all. And they are twice the size of those I remember from NM. HWIII
Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Wow! Never seen that before! Now i have something else to keep my eyes peeled for when I'm up in The GSMNP, hitting the trails and streams.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 04-20-2009, 04:48 PM

I have trapped coyotes and the "Coydogs" (half coyote half dog" can get VERY big... much bigger than a true "yote". I didn't weight it but I trapped a Coydog that looked just like a german shepard and was much heavier than what I wanted to carry. If you want to see something very fasinating wait until you see a black coyote. I have caught two a male and female on the same farm and they were beautiful. Almost scary looking too. Coyotes have many different colors like red, silver, black, grey and the regular run of the mill brown. Very interesting video.