Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Deep Creek Campsites

Younger Tom and I are planning a 3-4 day trip to the upper sections of Deep Creek. My favorite hiking trails book was published in 1996 and I'm afraid some of the campsite descriptions may be dated. We're planning to hike from the bottom up as opposed to top down. We want to establish a base camp and fish from it. We've narrowed our choices down to #56, #55 and #54.

Your assignment, for those of you who have made this trip, is to compare and contrast the aesthetics and fishing opportunities of any one or all three sites.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM

I made the trip from the top going down a few years ago. I stayed at Poke Patch (53) and then down at Bryson Place (57?). I liked Poke Patch as it gave me an opportunity to fish the upper portions of the creek. Bryson Place was a nice campsite, but I found the fishing to be quite slow around camp. If it were me, I believe I would choose 54 for the location. It should be far enough from the portions of the stream heavily fished and should give you a chance to fish upper Deep Creek. I forget what 54 looks like, since I did not stay there.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 PM

As far as fishing opportunities go, they are so close together that it really doesn't matter which one you choose. If you stay at 54, you are up above where the Left Fork comes in so it is a bit smaller water. Still lots of great fishing up there so you can't really go wrong. I'd personally probably stay at 54 or 55 myself...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 AM

I like 56 and 55, but you really can't go wrong with any choice...and like someone else just said, they are all (57-55) pretty close to one another so you can fish pretty much wherever you want.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Brysons place campsite is nice and spacious and in good condition. If you stay down lower you could fish bumgardner's bend and if you stay higher you can fish the left fork and above. Honestly though, you can't go wrong anywhere on deep creek.

When are you planning on going?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Going in a couple of weeks. Plan is to spend one day on the Left Fork, one day in the upper part of the main stream, and one day is open to whatever. Site #56 is listed as the nicest, but #54 would put us a mile or so further up stream.

On a related note, not sure about the stream sizes. I've got an 8'6" 3wt and a 7' 3wt. I'm leaning toward the longer rod, but would appreciate any advice in that department too. How tight is the Left Fork?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Left Fork is tight for the short distance that I've fished it. If it is an option, take both rods. If you're nervous about leaving one laying around in camp, then definitely just take the longer rod. If you have to you can break it down and use the top half. Might want something heavier than the 3 wt also. I probably wouldn't want to fish up there with less than a 4 weight. There are still some big browns through that area and a 3 weight would be on the light side if you tangle with one...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 PM

I fished upper Deep Creek above Poke Patch and even a good distance up Rocky Fork with a 8 1/2" Five Weight. I didn't find the length of the rod to be a problem. Upper Deep Creek is not a smalll stream in my opinion above Poke Patch.

When I stayed at Bryson Place I did try to go into the Left Fork of Deep Creek at the confluence, but found it to be tight. It was a bit difficult to find. There was a decent water flow, but lots of overhanging trees. It may open up a bit up higher, however.

I would be very interested in knowing how the Left Fork fishes. :-) I have wanted to jump in close to the Poke Patch campsite and head up from there.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM

We are going up there the first weekend of may and staying at 53 for a couple nights. We are coming in from newfound gap, however.

Has anyone had any experience on the fork ridge trail? If you look at the map and see its relation to the upper reaches of the left fork you probably will get where i'm going with this question.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to mciupe

Hello Tom,

My name is Mihai Ciupe, and I am from Romania. I now live in Florida and I miss Trout fishing. ( flyfishing). I am trying to make some friends in the forum.
Please replay when you have time. Maybe we can chat a bit.
Thank you,

Mihai