Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Default WPLP is back in play!

Went up to WPLP this afternoon, a little apprehensive about water temps but couldn't stay away any longer. I put in at the upper end of the Chimneys Picnic Area around 1:30 and the water temp was about 49. What a gorgeous day! And I was quickly reminded why this is just about my favorite stream. The water was still up a bit from the recent rains but very fishable. The trout were coming up everywhere to dries (stayed with a Parachute Adams most of the day). Saw a few nice size ones, one that banged my fly twice from the bottom of a pool that took my breath away both times. Would have stayed and kept trying for it but there was another fellow who had come up not far behind so I left it for him to find. Ended up catching 3 small bows but it was enough for the first venture onto this stream for the Spring. Here's a shot that I couldn't pass up - what a beautiful place and it's now open for business!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Awesome! I love fishing that stream...we drove past there yesterday on the way to Cherokee for a few hours of fishing and I was wondering how the fishing was for the wild jewels in the West Prong... Looks like I might have to fish it sometime soon...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 PM

What a beautiful spot Charlie. My husband asked me yesterday if I would like to fish the Smokies in June. I think the answer would be YES!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 PM

Rachel,

Come on up! We'll take you guys on a tour of the gorge. It's a remarkable stretch of river.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 PM

Charlie....
That sounds great! Got to figure out dates. Where should I be looking at places to stay?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Depends on what you're after. Simple and quiet hotels/cabins, I'd go with Townsend. More action and lots of places to eat, I'd go with Gatlinburg. If you like shopping and carnivals, go to Pigeon Forge. Check out the Plan Your Trip link off the LRO home page and it has both hotels/motels/cabins and camping.

I'll be in Telluride, CO (music festival) from June 14 - 24 but if you guys are up here outside those dates, give me a shout at bartonca@hotmail.com. Or come on up for Troutfest - even better!

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Default Now how am I going to work this next week?

I had hoped it was still unfishable and I wouldn't have to figure out how to play hooky from work...

I see you started above the Picnic Area. How was the water level?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 PM

Pete,

The water level was great (before today's rain). There was a lot of water coming through but there were lots of open pools and side areas to fish. Even where water was pouring down, there were pockets next to the rapids where fish were rising to the dries. No excuses, my friend. Gotta go. One note: I didn't try anything but dries - probably could have gotten even more action with nymphs and wets.

BTW, interesting premise by Ian in the Road Prong thread on brookies getting active in cooler water than bows and browns. I'm liking that theory. If it's true, we probably should have been moving up the hill earlier.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Charlie,

Thanks for the report and the stream pic, the gorge section of WPLP is a wonderful stretch of water, I fished it myself for the first time last autumn.
Funny thing, but my wife and I are going to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival too, never been before, should be great! By the way, the San Miguel River flows right through Telluride, holds browns, bows and cutthroat, and should be near the end of runoff by that time, might be worth bringing a fly rod along with you...

And I second your advice to Pete--go out, cast some dries, and find some fish, they are waiting! The brookies were certainly looking up when I was there on Road Prong...

Tight lines, Iain
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Iain,

Where are you guys staying at Telluride? My cousin and I are in the Mary E. Illium campground outside of town. It would be great to hook up with some kindred spirits out there. Feel free to give me a buzz while you're there at 865.898.9687. Or email me (bartonca@hotmail.com) and we can figure out how to cross paths.

BTW, last year was a huge snow year for CO. and the San Miguel was boiling while we were out there for the festival. Totally unfishable. Hope for better this year.

bartonca@hotmail.com