Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply, my wife (Regan) and I are also staying at the Mary E. Ilium campground, so if we can bump into each other there, that would be great. I'll give you a call while we are there. Also, here is my phone and e-mail--808-573-1333, iainemmons@yahoo.com, if you want to get in touch with us too.

Sorry to hear that about the San Miguel last year, hopefully the river and runoff conditions will be more accommodating this year...how was the festival last year?

Iain
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll drop you a line and tell you about the Telluride when I get back from Merlefest this weekend (Doc Watson's bluegrass festival in Wilkesboro, NC). You will love definitely Telluride, fishing or no. BTW, the river runs right by our campground.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
tell you about the Telluride when I get back from Merlefest this weekend d.
Dang Charlie, you're quite the bluegrass guy! Me too, wish I could hit some of the festers...

sb
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Charlie B and Iain,

just moved out to Knoxville from Fort Collins, CO. Could be a pretty huge year for runoff again, especially with over 7 feet of snow coming in late March and April.

Hope you get some good fishing while at the festival, should be a grand time with or without fish!

Nick
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Nick,
I'm taking my fly rod this year just in case - you never know when you might find a quieter tributary.

Stonefly,
My best friend growing up and my first cousin that was more like a brother have been to Merlefest for the past 5 years and wouldn't miss it for the world. Telluride was supposed to be a once in a decade experience last year until my wife encouraged me to go again this year (and who am I to argue? ). The only bad thing about going this weekend is forgoing a trip to WPLP - things should really be hopping in the gorge!

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Telluride

Don't miss Bela, Emmylou and Todd Snider. Bela turned the banjo from an annoyance to a gift.

"Friends don't let friends play banjo"
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Say, Charlie, that must've been you that bumped into my wife and me Friday as you came back down to the picnic area. Must say its an absolutely gorgeous area! First time I've hit that spot.

I'm still a hack/amateur/newbie at fly fishing... so I caught trees and not fish. But, I'd still do it again!

Best,
JohnR
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM

John,

Glad to put a name with a face. Keep it up - I've had something of a dry spell this spring but looking forward to better. Hope springs eternal with those who stand in the river waving a stick.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Wplp 4-28

I fished WPLP yesterday for the first time in a while. Caught lots of rainbows, some were very nice. When I finally made it up to the Brookies I noticed that they seemed to be a little on the small side, even for Brookies.

Is this the norm for that stream?

I decided to stop by Metcalf Bottoms area on my way out to pick up my first Park grand slam. I had never seriously pursued the slam before. I had, in the past week, caught browns in the section that I decided to fish. Several nice drifts produced a sucker and a very nice bow that gave the fight of the day.

Any suggestions for the browns?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Try the LR just below Elkmont....up to the campground