Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Hazel Creek to Silers Bald this Sunday

I am going to be going on my first fly fishing trip to Hazel Creek on Friday with a friend and we are staying at site #84. He is heading back out across Fontana on Sunday but I am going to be walking back to my car in Townsend. I have a reservation at Silers Bald shelter on Sunday night and I am curious about the route up to Silers from Hazel if anyone here has any info I would be appreciative. Not planning on fishing just hiking that day so I can make it. I am just wondering what I am in for and all. I know there are 16 or so crossings of Hazel before reaching Welch ridge. Curious if taking Cold Spring Gap trail to Welch ridge might be better. Any thoughts on Hazel to Welch vs. Cold Spring Gap and also any thoughts on the journey in general?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM

If you are going to have your fly rod with you, might as well indulge up above #82.

Haven't made that particular hike just yet, but i have heard that it isn't too terribly bad, just a long hike. I'm sure someone on here can help you out who has actually been there though.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Crockett,

That is a long tough hike for sure. Doable if you take it easy and make a day of it. Make sure your water bottle is full once you leave Hazel Creek (near the Cascades) and start up the mountain. You are smart to stop and rest at Silers Bald. Hopefully all the thru-hikers will have past and you won't see the crowds. Hope for a clear night...the stars are amazing from Siler's.

The trail is just as wet and muddy on either route....but of course you get to see High Rocks if you go up Cold Spring Gap.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Would it be easier to park at Clingman's Dome and hike down to the campsites?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Someone could pick you up at the end of Lake View Dr. or you could park one car at LV Dr and take the other up to the Dome and hike down. I don't know if this is possible.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks Drifter thats the kind of info I needed! Thought about going that way to check out high rocks. I was just wondering if anyone here had made either trek.

You are right BlueRaiderFan it would be easier going down from the top but I am taking the fontana ferry across with my friend and his friend. I love to hike as well so I thought walking back to TN would give me a good excuse to get a couple of days hiking in after the fishing trip.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Default Made it

My friends and I fished hazel creek this past Friday and Saturday. The fishing wasn't spectacular I just caught a couple of little browns but still lots of fun. Sunday I walked back to TN and it was a lot tougher than I thought. I went all the way up the Hazel Creek trail past the cascades and all the switchbacks up to Welch ridge trail. Spent the night with all the thru hikers on the AT at Silers bald. On Monday I walked 11 miles on the AT south over Brier top and Thunderhead to spend the night at Spence field. Tuesday morning I walked out to my car in Tremont via the Bote mtn trail. I would say it was quite an adventure but much harder than I thought it would be walking up out of there. It took me about 10 hours from campsite 84 to silers bald and I didn't see another person on the trail or fishing that day anywhere up Hazel.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
It took me about 10 hours from campsite 84 to silers bald and I didn't see another person on the trail or fishing that day anywhere up Hazel.

And that my friend is music to the ears of a man going in there the 13th.