Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Elkmont Campground Questions

I am planning a 2 day camping trip to Elkmont campground in the next two weeks. I read that the check in time is 12pm. Does that mean I cannot check in after that and have to wait till the next day? I get off work at 4:30 pm and can't get there till after 7 on a Friday so would I be able to get a site that evening or do I need to just wait till Saturday?

Also, what exactly is the procedure with checking in and getting a site? Is there someone there I talk to to sign in and then pay? Is it always first come first serve or does a reservation system open up after a certain date?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 PM

No, it just means you can't check in before that. You'll need to call though and let them what time you are arriving since you are checking in late. Since you are arriving so late, you will need to call and pay in advance. When you get there, the office will be empty, but if you pay in advance, you won't need to go by anyway. A person will come around in the morning with a checklist and make certain that people are in the correct camping spots. Try and get on of the "walk in" camp sites by the creek. You only walk about 50ft, but the creek will lull you to sleep at night.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
I am planning a 2 day camping trip to Elkmont campground in the next two weeks. I read that the check in time is 12pm. Does that mean I cannot check in after that and have to wait till the next day? I get off work at 4:30 pm and can't get there till after 7 on a Friday so would I be able to get a site that evening or do I need to just wait till Saturday?

Also, what exactly is the procedure with checking in and getting a site? Is there someone there I talk to to sign in and then pay? Is it always first come first serve or does a reservation system open up after a certain date?

Thanks for the help.
I was just there this weekend and I had the same questions as you. I got there at about 7:00 Friday night, we found a site, and made camp. You HAVE to get your spot before you pay, I almost paid until someone said to find the site first.

So I walked up to the entrance and there is a box full of envelopes that you fill out, and put the money in. It was $17 a night, and I had 2 $20s and 1 $5, so I found someone to break the $20 with 2 $10s and I just overpaid $1. There are no refunds. There is a slip you keep, and put on the post of your campsite that has all the necessary details for the rangers.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 PM

Awesome. So it sounds like as long as there is a site open I should be ok Friday night then.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Interesting. Last time I went, I reserved ahead of time. I think I did it on line though...Ah, it's been so long...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM

You can now reserve a campsite on line and be site specific if there are open campsites...easiest way to get there is to just google up the website for the Park and they have a link for the reservations.....this link will show you a map of the campground and what sites are still available for the dates you want to camp....you can actually reserve a specific site that will be there when you arrive and you will have already paid on line....they will also give you a number to call to let them know you will be late checking in....this way you don't have guess whether or not there will be a site available.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM

They're still first come first served. I tried to reserve mine, and I looked in the calendar and they aren't able to be reserved for quite some time.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

you cannot reserve at this time....it is still first come-first served...so you people who think you can reserve now will not be happy campers
Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM

I guess it has to do with the time of the year?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

I just made a reservation this past weekend foir 5/31 arrival. I think reservations are taken for period after 5/15 to October. It will say online.