Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Soho report 4/21

Fished the South Holston for the first time, as part of a whirlwind tour along some of the streams and rivers of NE TN--what a beautiful and productive tailwater. Hiked to the river from the Riverbend TVA access, mostly cloudy with some sunbreaks, cold, strong winds at times (is it spring yet?), caught around 10 bows, both hatchery and wild, several a good 11 or 12", and a handful of Browns, including a couple of risers in the afternoon, close to 3 pm, during a bit of a Sulfur hatch, a good foot long fish followed by a 15" Brown, both on 6X and a size 16 Sulfur parachute; this latter trout jumped a couple feet in the air 5 times in quick succession, a beauty. I took some photos of fish and scenery, I'll have to develop these and then put them on photobucket, and then I'll post some pics here.

Also saw some BWOs, #18-20, hatch sporadically throughout the day, and a few #12 yellow-tan craneflies in the morning, swallows flying all over, especially in the afternoon. A good day, a beautiful river, hopefully the upcoming warm weather will really trigger the Sulfurs to come out in full force.

Tight lines, Iain
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 PM

Great report,,,,thanks for posting. Good to hear the sulfers are coming off. Isnt it a great river?

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 04-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Sounds like a good on the SoHo. That if a beautiful place. That would be what I would call my home river to fish on. Thanks for the report. Glad you had good time.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Westslope_
Ditto on your comments about the SoHo. We fished it this past weekend, May 2nd & 3rd. Caught 6 bows & browns about 12" on 6x tippet with #20 Sulphur dries with a #22 zebra midge dropper. Sulphur hatch started about 2PM, and things got busy for us. Sunday was slow, with rain showers and the barometer was dropping. Most fish were holding tight.

On the section we were fishing, didn't see any BWO's or crane fly hatches.

Spent Monday, cleaning and sanitizing our gear to wash off the didymo, I was suprised at the amount that we saw. Wish there was a easy way to get it out of the river.

Overall, we had a great time on the SoHo.

><(((("> Tight Lines