Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Bear Spray

While in the park, can you carry it or not? This may have been covered in a thread but I must have missed it.

I really do like carrying it when my son is with me. Believe me you do not want to hear me singing in the woods.

Hope someone can let me know because I'll be down on May 1st.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM

There's an old saying with people who carry handguns into the park into remote places, which also implies to bear spray..........

I would rather be judged by a jury of six men, than be carried by six at my funeral........but in this case, " I would rather be judged by six men, than be eaten by a hungry bear". Carry the spray if it make you feel better, just get the real stuff and not some little bottle. IF you gonna hit something or stop it, use something BIG.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I agree with FlyFlyn. Protect yourself and your family.

We carry CounterAssult when ATV'ing in MT.
http://www.counterassault.com/html/bearproducts.html
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Edit - Removed.

Last edited by Grannyknot; 04-24-2009 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: removed per mtnman2888's post.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM

I think this thread could possibly get filled up with people with stories about what happened when they tested the bear spray.

I have a bottle of counter assault with me and it is legal to carry it in the park, so don't worry about it. If it makes you feel more comfortable, or your loved ones as in my case, then by all means get some.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Craig:

Double check, but I think there was a posting on the site last week that bear repellents and sprays are not legal in GSMNP. The posting had the actual legal posting. Here's the link: http://yoursmokies.blogspot.com/2009...r-illegal.html

Last edited by kytroutman; 04-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Added link to regulations
Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 PM

I do have counter assualt and have carried it when my son is with me. I must say that I will continue doing that when he is with me in the future.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM

As I read the regulation, a loud whistle or even an air horn is probably NOT a weapon.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM

I have an email from the GSMNP HEADQUARTERS saying that carrying spray is LEGAL!

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Per CFR Title 36, part 1: Weapon means a firearm, compressed gas or spring-powered pistol or rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow, blowgun, speargun, hand-thrown spear, slingshot, irritant gas device, explosive device, or any other implement designed to discharge missiles, and includes a weapon the possession of which is prohibited under the laws of the State in which the park area or portion thereof is located. Bear spray is considered an irritant gas device. From what I was able to find on the NPS nformation was the parks located in Alaska are the only ones spelled out in the regulations that permit the carrying of the repellent. It is recommended in the NPS systems in the western US but it is still illegal per the CFR standards. Certain park superintendents are permitted to make exceptions to the CFRs but it is unclear whether the superintendents have any flexibility to modify the weapons restrictions.

It would be nice if someone would actually post something in writing from the GSMNP Superintendent for a ruling instead of the he said/she said information that is confusing people.