Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Slickrock Santeetlah Snowbird

Can anyone give me some info on fishing any of these creeks? I want to spend several days fishing them. I am not going to be camping and will be fishing only for the day and staying in a motel at night. Can anyone recommend the best town to stay in? I am assuming Robbinsville, but maybe someone has a better idea. How about access to these creeks? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Robbinsville will be your best bet. As far as access, get Jimmy Jacobs book as he explains all three streams in detail. The are pretty much your average NC trout stream as far as what to expect as what flies and what the water will be like. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up Snowbird

Chris,

Skip Slickrock, its not worth the effort.

Snowbird is a great stream at the right times. The water below "The Junction" is stocked and gets lots of attention from locals. The water above the Junction is hard to get to in spots, but can be very productive. If you like hiking, you can go above Big Falls (5 miles one way) or Middle Falls (7 miles one way) and get into some good Brookie fishing. I've done it a few times last year and will probably go again sometime in the next month or so.

Shoot me an email if you're interested...

Pete

I don't know anything about Santeetlah...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Yeah, PeteCZ's right.... somewhat..... skip slickrock... Slickrock is a very fun river if you don't have to hike in. I haven't done it simply because I have a boat but, there are some nice fish at times in the lower sections of the river. Right now and if time was an issue I wouldn't do it.